Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 09:26 PM

Default ViewSonic monitor

Short Story - It sucks

Long Story - the letters are now very VERY blurry.

Anyway, the POS needs to be replaced. I want a Flat Pannel LCD monitor looking to shell out about $250.

I'm got Samsung and Dell on my list, but a lot of other lesser know monitors are popping up as well.

Thoughts on where to put my money?

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Re: ViewSonic monitor

I think I made a comment similar to this one earlier this week...and don't remember if anyone added, agreed, or disagreed w/ me. First off, I haven't bought a new LCD since about 2001 or 2002 (personally, that is....I've purchased several for clients but I've relocated and don't know if they lasted...they were dells covered under warranty for 3 yrs tho). That's my disclaimer...I truly don't know about current LCD quality.

Back then, tho, I would run away from any unknown brand w/ a cheap price. Cheap LCD's used to develop bad pixels sometimes within a week of being brand new. Companies didn't consider a warranty replacement until a certain ridiculous percentage of pixels burned out...so you got stuck w/ an ugly POS with your only hope being that enough pixels would burn out before the warranty expired. I swore by Dell LCD's simply for the warranty reasons (and always told my clients to get their gold support...and usually for at least 3 yrs and would have them renew their warranties for as long as Dell would allow (sometimes only one more year)).

Samsung is established, tho...and in fact my only LCD is a sammy...17" w/ a tv tuner, s-video and RCA inputs, PiP....all of $1400 when I bought it 5-6 yrs ago. It's been dropped, it lived in an 18-wheeler getting shaken around 16 hours a day, I melted a hole in the case by burning an incense cone on it, I've pushed it to resolutions and refresh rates beyond what the manual claimed was the limit....and am still using it today. A buddy of mine bought the HDTV model 2 yrs later that is otherwise the same as mine, and it died last year to serve as a paperweight.

Hope my outdated info helped in some way....and hopefully others will chime in w/ experiences w/ more modern hardware.

edited for typo/grammar errors