Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2006, 08:28 PM

Default PLO 6 max hand, questionable decision?

Here's a hand that I played last night in a shorthanded PLO game on Full Tilt. The game had been reasonably passive for a 6 max game with many players taking the flop with a wide variety of holdings. There hadn't been a lot of big pots prior to this. The BB was a loose and aggressive donkish player who loved to lead flops and turns with some extremely modest holdings, even for shorthanded play. The button was a fairly passive calling station who had been losing most of the session.

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero calls $2, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, SB calls $1, BB checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($10, 5 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc3333">BB bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5, CO folds, <font color="#cc3333">Button raises to $30</font>, SB folds, BB calls $25, Hero calls $25.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($100, 3 players)
<font color="#cc3333">BB bets $100</font>, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises all-in $147.3</font>, <font color="#cc3333">Button 109 $109</font>, BB calls $47.3.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($503.6, 1 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $427, Sidepot 1: $76.6)

Results:
Final pot: $503.6

I think the preflop call UTG with a hand of this quality is pretty standard for shorthanded play. I don't know if 3 connected / Q suited and a dangler is good enough to be raising UTG in a 5 handed game, but I don't play a lot of shorthanded Omaha either.

On the flop I have top 2, a weak straight draw, and a weak backdoor flush draw which in and of itself is pretty modest, but in a short game it's probably a little too weak to fold outright to the BB's weak lead of half-pot, especially given his donkish profile. Where the hand gets interesting is when the button raises the pot. He doesn't have to have the nuts to raise pot here, but given the coordinated nature of the board, him having a bare KT makes sense and he's protecting his hand. Assuming I put the button on the made straight, am I right to call this raise as the action stood? What about if the BB folds to the button's pot bet? The BB's flat call of the button gives me 3 to 1 odds to call the bet. I don't know if I'm being stubborn or moronic here, but I'm just not convinced that I'm beaten yet, so I call. Should I have reraised here, even?

The turn brings an 8s, giving me a weak straight, 2 pair, and a flush draw. The BB leads out $100 from nowhere, giving me pause. He had made several donkish maneuvers of this nature earlier in hands. Is this bet too much to call with my holding? Presuming someone holds the KT without an A, I have 3 outs to split, 9 non-nut flush outs, and 4 clean outs to a FH. I assumed that my backdoor flush outs would be good here since it was a rainbow flop and both players seemed to be representing straights -- thereby giving me the 13 outs needed to call a pot bet on the turn. Am I flawed in thinking that my flush outs are live here? I reraised all-in figuring that there's no bet on the river I wouldn't call with my remaining $47, but this whole time I am operating under the assumption that if I don't make my flush or full house, then I'm surely beaten by the nut straight given the action. Could I have just called and saved the $47 if I don't hit?

I'll post the results of the hand later, as it did have an interesting outcome.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:13 PM

Default Re: PLO 6 max hand, questionable decision?

Shorthanded, I would think this hand is a raise preflop. On the flop, I don't like your call of the BB as you only have maybe 4-8 outs to beat what is likely a low-end str8, and calling the button's raise seems ridiculous.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, I don't like your call of the BB as you only have maybe 4-8 outs to beat what is likely a low-end str8, and calling the button's raise is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 PM

OK, OK... so it's been established that I shouldn't have called the flop bet. But I did. What about the other parts of the hand? Is calling the turn worse / as bad / what? There were other questions so try to see beyond the bad flop call. I'm new to this game and am trying to improve.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, OK... so it's been established that I shouldn't have called the flop bet. But I did. What about the other parts of the hand? Is calling the turn worse / as bad / what? There were other questions so try to see beyond the bad flop call. I'm new to this game and am trying to improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the turn, you have maybe 11 outs and very well could be drawing close to dead. The truth is probably somewhere in between, but whatever it may be, it doesn't change the fact that your turn play is also dreadful.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:12 AM

So then Boggler, how come you know Knutson?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 AM

He's a good friend of mine.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:33 AM

Doesn't explain how you know him though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2006, 12:44 AM

True that! I know him through Magic; we both live in Charlottesville and met @ the game store here in town in like 2000.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:56 AM

Likewise, we chatted because were in same IRC channels and he was one of the rare breed of American who liked soccer. I guess he just liked having someone to chat about it with rather than be forced into baseball conversations [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]