Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 09:10 PM

Default never played real money

Hi,

I've been playing on the play money tables for about 3 years now and I just turned 18 so I can now legally gamble online. How much harder is the play money tables compared to the real money. I know its gotta be a little harder because there isn't all of the all-in fests. Well I pretty much just played on party poker sit and gos and won almost everyone i did. I moved over to full tilt a month ago so i could get used to that since i cant play for money at party anymore. i've got my bankroll up to like 30,000 play chips by just playing the sit and gos there. Do you think I should wait till im older to start playing for money or is now ok? I bought the harrington on holdem vol. 1 book and need to read that. I also don't really plan on playing the big levels for a while because my money is limited. I am also concerned about if full tilt tries to audit me in the begining for my first deposit cause i've seen that going around on these forums. I don't have any heating bill or anything that I would be able to send in to prove anything. Does that make a difference? Last question, I want to try and get the rakeback stuff. If i open a new account on ft and make it real money and keep my play money account separate will i get into trouble?

Thanks,
mets
Old 11-30-2006, 09:32 PM

Default Re: never played real money

Can't answer all your questions, but

Yes, real money will be harder. Start at the lowest available level and see how it goes. You shouldn't necessarily expect to lose, but be prepared for it.

If you're legally eligible to play and you do it responsibly, I see no reason to wait.

I don't know what documents FT may require, but they should have some flexibility. As long as you aren't trying to scam them, you should be able to find a way to satisfy them. If you are really worried about this, email them before you open a real money account.

Trying to open a 2nd account may get you in trouble. For rakeback, you may be able to convert your existing account to a rakeback account. (I was able to do this.) Check out the rakeback forums on this site.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't really plan on playing the big levels for a while because my money is limited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start at the micros (literally like $0.01/$0.02 nl) until you really get your feet wet. Believe it or not, play at even these tiny levels is considerably tougher than play chips.

Research proper bankroll management and stick to it. This might be the #1 most valuable advice I can give you. You can probably short your requirements through the micros (assuming your BR is replenishable), but once you get through a few levels make BR management your new religion.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Research proper bankroll management and stick to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You MUST be prepared to move DOWN if it's not going well. Stick to the basics of BR Management and you'll be fine.

You obviously have no problem with discipline- 3 years at play chips- an obvious dedication. Good luck with your poker future.

Ian
Old 12-02-2006, 04:39 PM

I kinda would rather play on full tilt only because I am already used to it there. I have checked out the sng's there and they have some that are $1+.25. Is there anything special that stars has that full tilt doesn't? Also, do I have to get rakeback cleared?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:35 AM

Full tilt is better if you play 1 table sngs since they have $1 entry fees. The lowest 1 table stars has is a $3 turbo. For cash games you have to go to stars. The lowest no limit is 5c/10c.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:17 AM

Here is my rather cynical advice. Pick and amount of money and expect to lose it. That is, pick an amount you can afford to lose.

Once you have that amount, play games that allow you to play for awhile without going bust. For example, say you have $100. With this amount, I would suggest that you divide into 20 buyins. So for SnGs, you should only play $5 max buyin. For cash, you should also play $5 max buyin so that is usually a $.05 BB game.

It might be even better to divide this $100 into 40 or 50 buyins which will last longer for you.

This advice is called bankroll management. The primary reason for this is to be able to handle the large win/loss swings which is called variance.

If you are successful and increase your bankroll, you can move up in limits. The play will get tougher so you are always manipulating your bankroll, the limits you play and your success rate.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:05 AM

Play/Real money totally different.When you start playing with your own money its a whole new ball game.
As for rakeback,playing at micro limits you will never clear any bonus,at Full Tilt you will struggle to clear it at anything less than $2/$4 tables and that will take many hours of play just to clear even $10..
Old 12-01-2006, 06:14 AM

If Sngs are your thing try Ultimate Bet they have $1 sngs. If you want to play cash games try pokerstars. They start out with 2c/4c limit, and 1c/2c nl.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 AM

Definitely start at the micro limits. You can move up fast if you play well, but even they are much harder than play money.

As you play, there are two books you need to read. One is Super System (the Hold Em and NL sections). The other is Theory of Poker. And if you are into Hold Em a lot, read Small Stakes Hold Em after those two books. Play a lot and read over those 2 (3) books.

I did that a couple years ago and broke 6 figures for this year.

M