Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Overpair on flop, how would you play it?

3rd hand at the table, no reads and no table image.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($146.25)
Button ($117)
Hero ($606)
BB ($488.35)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $21</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $54</font>, Hero calls $33.

Flop: ($108) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $56</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $160</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $434.35</font>, Hero calls $274.35.

Turn: ($976.70) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($976.70) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $976.70
Old 11-30-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Overpair on flop, how would you play it?

I check/call the flop reevaluate turn

Why are you raising? Your raise folds out no better hands and is called by no worse. You're just putting yourself in a position to have to decide whether you want to play for stacks with a pair of nines hoping villain is shoving a big draw

As played I fold to his push..
Old 11-30-2006, 05:20 PM

this is a clear cut case of not feeling comfortable playing postflop with mid pairs.. which isnt such a bad thing.. you just need to convince yourself that playing for stacks in marginal spots like this gives your opponents back the edge you get by posting on here and working on your game.

like mr. blonde said, just call the flop and re-evaluate on the turn.. as we can see here the turn card is a good one for you.

you could be very far ahead here, and pot size control wise you checking and calling the flop is a better play. it's not even necessarily a bad thing if you give him a free turn peel either.. as likely you're ahead here.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 PM

c/r is really bad, calling the push may be worse.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:53 PM

oh my god what are you doing.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:00 PM

Well, with no reads on anyone at the table you just have to analzye the situation. You were reraised preflop which already tells you something (most likely a high pair or AK) and then you were reraised A LOT on the flop. He likes his hand and that is an easy fold.

If he knew you liked your hand (which he did) and was still willing to put all his chips in right there... that should set some alarms off. Maybe he had AK and you won... dangerous, though.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, with no reads on anyone at the table you just have to analzye the situation. You were reraised preflop which already tells you something (most likely a high pair or AK) and then you were reraised A LOT on the flop. He likes his hand and that is an easy fold.

If he knew you liked your hand (which he did) and was still willing to put all his chips in right there... that should set some alarms off. Maybe he had AK and you won... dangerous, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:04 PM

Calling the push on the flop is terrible. I would probably just c/c the flop and reevaluate the turn.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:05 PM

Alright, thanks for the input guys. As soon as I finished the hand I was 99% sure that was probably the worst way I could've played it. Villain had AA.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:19 PM

not like this