Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 04:42 AM

Default PLO25: AKKQ on a flop of 333

New to Omaha...

No reads. Hand completely misplayed? Check-fold turn?

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($3, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3</font>, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($9, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2.25</font>, CO calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($13.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3.75</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises all-in $8.75</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $5 returned to CO.

Results:
Final pot: $21
Old 11-30-2006, 04:59 AM

Default Re: PLO25: AKKQ on a flop of 333

Check fold the turn with no reads
Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 AM

Oh lordy, this is horrible.

1. Preflop isn't brilliant, KKAQ-type hands work best when they've got at least one suit. You can hit flops hard but your only favourite flop is KJT rainbow and that doesn't come along v often. Limp along, hit your set and destack someone playing a lower set.

2. Flop is obv a bet whether or not you raised preflop.

3. Turn is horrible, betting 1/3 the pot is basically saying 'I have a good hand but I don't know where it is, would you please tell me?' and your villain elects to tell you nothing. Given remaining stack sizes here this is either a check or a pot bet.

4. Blocking bet on the river achieves nothing. Bet all-in if you expect to get value from QQ or worse or check-fold if you think your villain has been sandbagging AA or a 3. As played the river fold is horrible, you're getting a really good price and a high % of villains at this level will obstinately take TT to the felt here.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

4. Blocking bet on the river achieves nothing. Bet all-in if you expect to get value from QQ or worse or check-fold if you think your villain has been sandbagging AA or a 3. As played the river fold is horrible, you're getting a really good price and a high % of villains at this level will obstinately take TT to the felt here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the comments. What can I reasonably expect on the river with no reads and given the action up to here?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:06 AM

I estimate that you will see a 3 here 30-60% of the time, AA &lt; 10% of the time, and QQ and lower the rest.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:14 AM

I would bet 2 on flop, then go for cheap showdown. Aka checking turn. Sometimes I check flop too.

- B
Old 12-03-2006, 03:35 AM

I'm new to PLO, so I might get ripped apart here...

First off, no villain is going to have AA here (playing .10/.25), since there was no raise preflop, nor did anyone 3-bet after you raised. I'm under the impression that people ALWAYS raise with AA preflop at .10/.25 tables. Please correct me if this assumption is wrong.

So post-flop, the only hand we fear is the lone 3. If we believe we're against the 3 less often than pocket pairs (which are the only other hands continuing after the flop), then we want to keep CO in the hand. Clearly, potting both the flop and turn has to be bad, as no pairs like 99-JJ will stick around after the huge turn bet. Is that what your small turn and river bets are designed to accomplish?

I agree that raising preflop with this hand sucks, especially OOP. On the flop you're looking to hit either top set or a straight draw with a JTx flop (which isn't that great a hand anyway, since you have no other draws); otherwise you want to get out.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:29 AM

Tons of people limp in with aces in low stakes PLO.

I don't think it's necessary to bet the flop. Either way works. In this case I wouldn't. A bet should serve a purpose. Either getting a worse hand to call or a better hand to fold. A better hand isn't folding. A worse hand may call, but they are unlikely to call two bets. So waiting until the river to bet doesn't hurt you, you make the same amount. That way you keep the pot small so someone with quads or AA gets minimum value from their hand. The only risk is that someone hits a better boat, but for the reasons stated above a flop bet definitely isn't imperative.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tons of people limp in with aces in low stakes PLO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, cool, this is news to me. It makes sense to limp if all you have is aces and no other coordinating cards, as you're only looking to hit a set. But if any of our other two cards coordinate well with our hand, then we're preparing to play nut hands, or draws to the nuts. We should raise preflop to start building a pot.