Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Slowing Down and Controlling Emotions

How do you avoid situations in online MTTs where you find yourself acting too quickly and scrolling that raise bar all the way over and clicking raise without even thinking out it? Did it today at a final table and it is frustrating me. Maybe all you'll be able to say is to just take your time, but I was hoping there might be some other advice that could be added. thanks.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Slowing Down and Controlling Emotions

TAKE YOUR TIME.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:15 PM

This is a reoccuring problem for me as well. It's simply a lack of focus. One thing I have done in the past is to tape or cover my hole cards. This helps me to avoid making a decision prematurely and forces me to scrutinize the action around the table.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a reoccuring problem for me as well. It's simply a lack of focus. One thing I have done in the past is to tape or cover my hole cards. This helps me to avoid making a decision prematurely and forces me to scrutinize the action around the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really like this idea, although I don't really want to stick tape on my monitor.

Would be interesting to play a cheap buy-in and not once even look at your cards as a mental exercise.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:25 PM

I find myself doing this occasionally. My rule of thumb is that I have to take at least a few seconds between any time I make a big raise and when I actually click the button. So I'll scroll the bar to raise, but then stop and make sure I'm really supposed to be doing what I'm doing.

Like other guys have said, take your time. Especially when you're at a final table. There's nothing wrong with thinking a lot about seemingly minor decisions when there's a lot at stake, and often you'll realize later that something which seemed trivial was actually not quite so trivial, and you might have blown right past a huge decision without a second thought.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:31 PM

Let me clarify...I actually tear off a small piece of a post-it-note. The adhesive is not so strong that it will leave a lasting impression on your monitor. Obviously overtime it would.