Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 05:06 PM

Default CBB...Ohio St +7.5 @ North Carolina????

I know its in NC. But how does the #1 ranked team get 7.5 points. They have no big man (Oden out) but its been that way all year. Is it just the match up of Hansburough vs JOE SHMOE? I need to be talked out of this. I dont bet college until conference season begins.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:13 PM

Default Re: CBB...Ohio St +7.5 @ North Carolina????

FWIW, Sportsline ranks Ohio State #8 and NC #6.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:13 PM

Im an Ohio St. fan. However, I havent seen them play yet this year. I think there are a few factors here. First, its at UNC, which is going to be huge for both teams. Its OSU's first away game this year and its at UNC...enough said. Second, UNC has had a tougher schedule so far this year. They have played gonzaga and tenn already and OSU has played nobody at all. Last, both teams are young but I think UNC is getting the experience advantage b/c they are a perennial powerhouse with an experienced coach. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 PM

You can take this for whatever it's worth, since I don't know much of anything about Jeff Benton, but NC is his play of the day. If nothing else it's a decent read.

[ QUOTE ]
JEFF BENTON

Today, it’s back to college hoops as we play North Carolina in the game of the day against Ohio State.

This one right here comes down to competition, bottom line. North Carolina has faced some, including playing Gonzaga and Tennessee in Madison Square Garden last week, while Ohio State has faced nobody. And when I say nobody, well, see for yourself: VMI, Loyola-Chicago, Kent State, Eastern Kentucky, San Francisco and Youngstown State.

Now, that’s all well and good when you’ve got a very young team, as Thad Motta does, and you’re trying to instill a system and get the kids used to playing with one another within that system. But it sure as hell doesn’t prepare you for playing North Carolina … in the Dean Dome!

Listen, the Tar Heels, who field an incredibly young, talented team just like the Buckeyes, have been wildly inconsistent at times this year, which has frustrated the hell out of coach Roy Williams. But despite that inconsistency, Williams is still getting phenomenal production from his youngsters. Freshmen Brandan Wright (16.6 points, 7.4 rebounds, 61.8 percent shooting), Wayne Ellington (12.2 ppg) and Ty Lawson (10.6 ppg) are all averaging double figures in scoring.

And I haven’t even mentioned preseason All-American sophomore big man Tyler Hansbrough, who leads the team in scoring (20.6 ppg) and rebounding (8.8 rebounds per game) and who, more importantly, won’t have to worry about 7-foot-1 freshman sensation Greg Oden (injury) in this one.

Guys, here’s all you need to know about the Tar Heels’ talent and athleticism: In their most recent game on Friday against Tennessee in the consolation game of the Preseason NIT, UNC committed 26 turnovers, 23 fouls and let the Vols make 15 thee-pointers … and they still won by 14 points!

If the Tar Heels clean up those areas today, and they will, this is going to be a LONG night for the Buckeyes! Play North Carolina and lay the points.

(based on a 1 to a 10 ♦ Ratings )

5♦ NORTH CAROLINA

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-29-2006, 05:22 PM

You've got it backwards. Carolina is giving 7.5. "' - " = favorite, " + " = underdog.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:22 PM

Sportsline's approximation of the RPI shows the SOS for Ohio St. at 74 and NC at 73. Gonzaga is barely a top 25 team and they beat NC. And TENN isn't a top 25 team.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got it backwards. Carolina is giving 7.5. "' - " = favorite, " + " = underdog.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he doesn't. YOU have it backwards, because Ohio State, not UNC, is ranked #1. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sportsline's approximation of the RPI shows the SOS for Ohio St. at 74 and NC at 73.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's early in the season, and RPI isn't real useful even with lots of data.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM

I was going to post "take UNC at any line when it comes out" expecting it to be biased towards OSU, since they have a #1 rating, people might jump on that side. tOSU shouldn't be #1 without Oden. I have a feeling they are going to get destroyed this game and against Florida. But 7.5 is a decent sized line, but I still say take UNC.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:22 PM

I think people are overplaying the hc advantage at the dean dome. It's basiaclly like playing in an empty warehouse. having said that, I think NC covers this due to experience and coaching.