Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 04:53 PM

Default AKo - When is it MY turn to push?

Live hand from Sahara's 7:00 PM $42+20 MTT. 89 runners & we are in the first hour. The tourney starts with a staggering 5,000 chips if you immediately take the rebuy and 25/25 starting blinds. We are in L3 (100/50) and Hero has ~4,000 chips & is 3rd or so as 50% of the table has yet to re-buy.

The Sahara's week day MTTs are local rock gardens. My image has also been tight. I have shown down JJ as an overpair and AQs on a busted FD when villian checked to me. I seriously doubt that anyone has been paying that much attention to anything other than their own cards.

My question - how does the relative strenght of AK grow (or diminish?) as more players push pf?

The hand:

EP (short stack of <1,200 & the only LAG at the table) open pushes for the 3rd time in 5-6 hands. He has been doing this very light since being crippled earlier.

MP1 - Pushes (to iso? I don't think he knew what an isolation play was) with ~2,500.

LP - Pushes for T3,500. He was "Mr. pot odds" as he always told the table how to get good odds and play!

Hero (button) looks down at AKo and insta-pushes.

I feel very confident that my play was correct since the table was very readable AND I was getting about 2.5 to 1 odds. However, at what point does the value of 2 big cards diminish? I think at some point, JTs becomes a better hand in this (very unlikely) situation. I've never been in a 4 way AI pf in a live MTT before and was curious as to the changing hand strength of AK. Is there a point where folding is the correct option?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Re: AKo - When is it MY turn to push?

The possibility of shared outs rises as you get this sort of action. Someone has a pair almost certainly, and it's quite likely that at least 1 other person has an ace, possibly 2 people, maybe some dead kings too.

Ugh, I guess I push too...but I really could fold this. There's a real good chance Mr. Pot Odds has a huge hand here, and while I think we're allright against the other two guys ranges, if we lose to Mr. Pot Odds it doesn't help much. If we beat Mr. Pot Odds but lose to MP2, we're also losing half our stack here...

Weird spot, Andy. Wonder how long it took to sort out all the sidepots here.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Re: AKo - When is it MY turn to push?

I haven't done any math or worked out any ranges, but I'm pretty confident you can very safely fold this. But it's close enough that I'd consider calling with AKs, but even thats not definite.