Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Float

Opponent is tight TAG preflop, but weak-tight postflop. I've never done this before, but I think you can call this a float since my specific plan was to call the flop and raise the turn.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 max, 7 handed) converter

Preflop: I am the CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, I call, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, I call, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>

Good or bad? If it's good, how often should I be doing this?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Float

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: I am the CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
1 fold, MP1 raises, 1 fold, I call, 2 folds, BB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 03:28 PM

i fold preflop, if this guy is tight-tight, he probly has a premimum hand and it doesent look like your getting the multiway action you need for this hand, as far as the turn play, what are you representing, a set?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:30 PM

Wait until you have a pocket pair before you put the moves on this guy. You'll have a lot better chance of your hand being good at showdown if he calls the turn raise.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my specific plan was to call the flop and raise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-02-2005, 03:36 PM

I think you can do this once in a while, if you have a TAG image and float a thinking player. You have to be absolutely sure that on a board like this MP1 will fold a substantial portion of his range to your raise.

I usually associate floating more with live play, where reads are better and opponents seem more willing to lay down hands. I'm not sure it's as effective online. I've never seen a solid definition so maybe it has a better meaning.

If your specific plan is to play aggressively with a made hand and on a bluff-friendly board....ok. If you want to call-raise ANY board, that's not so good.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my specific plan was to call the flop and raise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you made up your mind to do this preflop before you even saw the board texture or knew who else what going to play the hand? hopefully i'm misunderstanding, 'cuz I'm not a fan of this...

is this guy really that weak-tight post-flop? is anybody that weak-tight? even i'm not that weak-tight, and I can be pretty weak-tight...

Tom
Old 09-02-2005, 03:37 PM

understandable, but the only thing i can put you on on this turn is 77, you dont have a straight,plus you have no outs if this play dosent work(maybe jacks and tens), i like to have a scarier board to do this, and some weak tighties have been known to call down with AK

in general this play costs a lot of bets to make, if the guy is super weak tight go for it, but otherwise i dont think it works often enough to show a profit

whats the plan for the river if he calls?
do you auto fold to a 3bet?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:40 PM

I hate.

Edit: I hate every street.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:44 PM

I think this guy thinks more about how made his hand is than what my range is. I thought this was a pretty good flop to have missed his range of hands.

If he calls the turn he's calling the river so I'm not betting again. Against this guy it's an easy fold to his 3-bet.