Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 04:42 AM

Default Advice on moving from desktop to laptop

I'm a longtime multimonitor desktop user, and have no choice but to move on to a laptop. I would appreciate any advice on making the transition.

My priorities, in no particular order, are a large desktop, a giant harddrive, and bass to rock a party... and it has to fit in my backpack. If that Dell monster had straps, I would buy it.

Also, I'd really appreciate good advice on changing computers in general... Like the best way to transfer lots of photos, MP3, videos, and some software, onto my new machine.

I'll be doing some traveling with the new notebook, and always big up 2+2 wherever I go, so... please... help a player out...

Cheers,
Buckstop
Old 11-29-2006, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Advice on moving from desktop to laptop

I can't answer your first question, because I am lazy and do not feel like looking at any laptops. I am just getting burned out from answering all of these "what computer should I get" questions.

But for the best method of bringing your old files over:
Each time that I have gotten a new system, I just used the Backup utility that is included with Windows. IMO, this is much faster than just copy-pasting stuff over from one PC to the other, or to a Thumb Drive, etc.

Hopefully someone can help you pick a laptop!