Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Working on Implied odds, Computer sims?, free$, or jump in?

My experience in card playing has been around 7 years or so. My younger years I was playing large varience of games jacks or better, draw, stud,blackjack (played on average 2 times a week in those years). I have played no limit holdem online off and on for the last 3 years and a lot of live games. Had a pretty good run of turning a free $10 from a prima site into 800 bucks building up from .05/.10 to .25/50 cent, I was progressing really well I moved up to .5/1 no limit and got outplayed, played .25/.50 cent again at a bankroll around 500, built up and then from there I continued to progress as a player (or I thought) and starting overrating the players at .25/.50 (I think I was playing to the 2nd or third level, (He thinks that I think that kinda of stuff)) but I didn't go back up and after some time I just got wiped out.

Started again with 2.50 cents from a prima freeroll turned that into 30bucks and had a couple bad beats and was toast, played well in the beginning and got anxious and played to many hands and went after a loose player and got rivered.

I have read a few books, caro's tell's, Advanced holdem Sklanksy, Phil helmuth's (blah), Supersystem 1 (holdem only), Championship poker by TJ Cloutier, Just started Dan's first and will be getting the other two. Also about to read theory of poker, and low stakes by sklanksy i believe. (last two books from a friend.) Also brother recommended Game theory as a good base.

I've been trying to buy into poker stars and it's just not happening (stupid bank), I'm waiting to get into neteller after I get some more reading in and money to start the bankroll and get my feet wet again in freerolls and freemoney at the moment till I feel comfortable as i can playing with free money.

I've read every beginner post http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post2411735 and good thread of good threads, read everything in the last two days and have learned a ton.

Looking to getting some tracking software once I get established, and also some type of rake back, (i've searched still finding out everything).

I have a friend that is a pro but not very active (waits till he runs out of funds then plays for a month and coasts for a couple months) I would like to utilize his abilities and yours the best I can. Can i just copy the info into a word file until i buy the software, and the info from pokerstars is not indepth at all.

Still trying to work on my implied odds as I never thought of it before or consciously did, pot odds still need work also. Would computer simulations help get those up to real time speeds? I consider myself well rounded with experience and once I get the numbers down and really dig into this forum; and start posting some hands I will be a tough player to play against.

More of a greet(didn't find a meet n greet section), but still have a couple questions that were asked above. Thanks for spending the time, I'm really looking forward to learning and soon contribute to a great forum.

Mostly a ring player, but I have built a somewhat knack for larger tourneys with my ability to pick my spots and last into the money(low stakes so far though).

Kmon
Old 11-29-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Working on Implied odds, Computer sims?, free$, or jump in?

Hi, welcome to 2+2. I myself have not been here for all that long. First, I don't want to burst your bubble, but becoming a good, constant, winning player is much harder than it seems at first glance. I know for sure. Second, do you intend to play limit or NL? Many of the books you mentionned, although they could be good reads for anyone, are mostly inclined (if not only inclined) towards limit. If you want NL, most people seem to recommend NL: Theory and Practice by Sklansky as well as a few others (you should be able to find them on the forum).

As for odds and all that stuff, read a few good books and you'll have a much better understanding. Once you do, practice is key.

Good luck!