Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 10:07 PM

Default what happened to getting a job like everyone else?

im sure theres a lot of people that do well in whatever venture they do for money, but the majority of people arn't lucky. i play poker but i definitely don't make enough to live off of, usually a few hundred in a couple weeks if not break even but im ok with that. i think all that internet marketing/ schemes are hard efforts at stuff we all know wont work. i just started college and after researching most stuff people do, im convinced that the right thing to do is focus on school and get a good job after. my question is, does anybody know of any good jobs u can get while in college? i dont mean fastfood or commercial store stuff, im sure theres jobs out there where you can make some decent money and keep your dignity. any suggestions would be much appreciated
Old 11-28-2006, 10:17 PM

Default Re: what happened to getting a job like everyone else?

Sperm donor.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:28 PM

programming/design type jobs provide a lot of flexibility. with limited skill there are still companies offering contracts for $10-$30/hr in this city.

i know lots of waitresses who go to university and work about 20 hours a week for ~$30/hr if you include their tips.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:54 PM

bartender
Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont mean fastfood or commercial store stuff, im sure theres jobs out there where you can make some decent money and keep your dignity. any suggestions would be much appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

Suggestion: realize that, if that's what it takes to pay the bills, flipping burgers is NOT beneath your dignity.

Anyway...I used to tutor math (at $30/hour) but it's hard to find enough clients.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:55 PM

being a sperm doner sounds like fun, but im sure it gets awkward after the first visit.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
being a sperm doner sounds like fun, but im sure it gets awkward after the first visit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think it would stop being awkward after a few visits.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:20 AM

i agree that for the average person, the most likely path to something resembling success is to study hard and do well in school in a major with a lot of possibilities.

that said, a normal job (im loosely defining that as a job where someone else hires you in a company with at least 20 employees) isn't for everyone and i don't think a lot of people who others view as very successful gained this success through this route.

the way i look at it is if somebody is willing to pay you $x to do some job that means they feel they are making >$x from the work you are doing. i would much rather get the full value from the work i do. obviously in the real world things are not this easy, but i think its a reasonable explanation as to why people look for other opportunities.

as for a part time job in college, i cant imagine what college would have been like without freelance web design work and poker. maybe i could relate better when people talk about eating ramen and drinking cheap beer.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 AM

most colleges have a department whose sole purpose is to find students jobs/internships. that sounds like a good place to start.

aside from that waiter/working somewhere on commition (suit salesman for example) is prob the best you will find with no starting skills/training required
Old 11-29-2006, 04:14 AM

I would worry about getting a good job after school. Whats ur major?