Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Blind War

Villain is a winning TAG from what I can tell, he has been fairly aggro against me, esp since we get into blind wars pretty often; I haven't had anything showdown worthy so I have folded to him on the turn the last couple hands. Decided not to back down this time.

Note:suits don't matter
I raise from the SB with K5o, Villain 3bets, I call.
Flop:267, I c/r, he calls. Turn:8, I bet, he calls. River:A, I check planning to call. COMMENTS?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Blind War

fold preflop? oop vs good tag when you havent had the best of him in recent confrontations and little to no info on his play/tendencies things arent lookin promising with K5o

after ur steal attempt is confronted by the 3bet you may want to give in. I think cring the flop here will lead to spew IMO he can just call and bet when ck to with any pocketpairs, it may be good to get him off overs on the turn if he ll fold those here but you dont really know anything about his play he may call a turn bet with KQ AK ect. once you get to the river calling down K hi here isnt terrible but what range of hands do you think hes 3betting with?

if you were good here more power to you but I think you're wasting bets, after ur cr and that turn card tho you gotta bet again.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:20 PM

what in the world do you think he has?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:21 PM

I forgot to include that everytime he decided to see a flop when I was raising his blind he would 3 bet me preflop, so I opened up his range deciding that he was raising me lighter than usual.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:25 PM

so why steal light in the sb?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:29 PM

k5o is light but I thought strong enough for a HU confrontation from a guy who I assumed could play, and 3bet preflop with hands as bad as T9o+. I can't give you a good answer as to why I stole with this hand, I guess I just felt like it??
Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to include that everytime he decided to see a flop when I was raising his blind he would 3 bet me preflop, so I opened up his range deciding that he was raising me lighter than usual.

[/ QUOTE ]

My normal adjustment to that is to either find another table, or wait for hands with more showdown value UI. As it is, I don't think you're making money from a winning TAG stealing OOP with K5. I don't like the c/r on the flop. I understand you might not want to give up here, but I can't see you pushing him off a hand you're behind (one of the reasons I don't think you should be opening a hand like K5). Turn is fine given you picked up a draw. On the river, again with your read of winning TAG, I don't think trying to induce a bluff OOP here is the way to go. If your read is right, he should figure that you're checking with the intention to call a marginal hand, after all the strength you've shown, and the scare card hitting on the river. If you're going to call anyway, I'd prefer to bet in order to fold out better kings. Although I also think that check/folding is OK, too, even if it is a little weak. I think that once you check and he bets, you're no good.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:39 PM

couple things:

1. if the bb habitually three-bets your sb steals, you need to either fold this hand or open-complete with it. we can only open-complete into a habitual preflop raiser if we can envision some boards to bluff at if we miss. tough to do with K5o.

2. there's no value to be found in raising because if you hit a K, s/he won't chase with worse hands. if you hit a 5, then you're weathering a storm the whole time with what will invariably be bottom pair with a number of attendant straight draws.

open-raising out of the sb is for against players who:

a. fold too often to your raises before the flop
b. goes into "hit or miss" mode after you raise preflop
c. ignores metagame and will let you steal post-flop all day after calling pre-flop

from your description, this player is the opposite of all of these qualifications.

consider changing tables/seats, too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bbbushu
Old 11-28-2006, 09:41 PM

oh yeah, plus the rest of the hand is maniacal. if s/he's going to repeatedly bet into you with a bad hand, don't stop them by check/raising.

bbbushu
Old 11-28-2006, 09:42 PM

I fold preflop.