Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Default standard?

20/40 online

2 bad limpers in EP, TAG raises (ATs+, 99+, AJo - probably), folded to me in LMP and I cold call with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], sb calls, bb folds.

flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

checked to the TAG who bets, I raise, sb cold calls, both limpers fold, the TAG goes in the tank and eventually folds.

turn is the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

sb checks, I bet, sb calls.

river is the T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

sb checks, I check.

a friend of mine thought this was a spew.

thoughts on preflop? I didn't think the limpers would fold for 2 more.

flop and turn? standard?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Re: standard?

Preflop is OK I think though I wouldn't do it with a much smaller pair without more players committed to the pot. Calling rather than 3 betting gives you the best chance of protecting your hand on the flop, as you did. Postflop is standard.

Lost Wages
Old 02-03-2006, 10:03 PM

I don't particularly like the preflop. This hand is at the bottom of the TAG's range. If I wanted to play the hand at all, I would 3-bet. It faces the BB with a much harder decision (in spite of the callers behind him). It freaks out the TAG (he thinks he has to hit now) and also sets you up for the win later. If the flop comes down big cards, you may be able to push everyone off by the turn. If the flop comes down lowball, your hand is disguised and you might get all the action you want all the way until the end from the big card draws and backup little pairs (like Q8, 67s, KJ, AK etc).

Having played preflop the way you did, however, post-flop looks fine to me.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:07 PM

I don't see what's wrong with preflop. It sucks if it gets 3-bet, or if one of the limpers limp/reraises, but otherwise, I'd do the same. If you don't like preflop, how many limpers/cold-callers would you want before you'd cold-call medium pockets?

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is at the bottom of the TAG's range... I would 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a reason not to 3-bet.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't like preflop, how many limpers/cold-callers would you want before you'd cold-call medium pockets?

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is at the bottom of the TAG's range... I would 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a reason not to 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything it's a reason to fold preflop.

Besides the reasons I stated before, 3-betting is good because, if the limpers happen to fold, you've got 3.5sb worth of dead money in the pot now. Also, if they call, you've still got more than your fair share of equity in the pot, amplifying their mistake.

Now, to answer your question about how many limpers it would take for me to cold call, the answer is I'd never do it with 99. I 3-bet or fold everytime, 99 is usually going to have more than its fair share of equity even though the origional raiser has a fair chance of having more equity than me. Not to mention I have position and three betting sets me up much better to buy the button. With a smaller pair like 55, I'd say there'd have to be 4 for me to call 2 bets.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If anything it's a reason to fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[ QUOTE ]
Now, to answer your question about how many limpers it would take for me to cold call, the answer is I'd never do it with 99. I 3-bet or fold everytime, 99 is usually going to have more than its fair share of equity even though the origional raiser has a fair chance of having more equity than me.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if the same villain raises UTG and the whole table calls, you're going to 3-bet 99? Or are you going to fold it? Folding is atrocious; I can't say I like 3-betting either.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:47 AM

Nice hand.

- Jim
Old 02-04-2006, 01:20 AM

Well played
Old 02-04-2006, 01:28 AM

Default results/thoughts

thanks for the replies.

I thought this was at least somewhat interesting (even though it took a few days to get some reponses).

about preflop... I think a call is correct given the table conditions at the time. the two bad limpers wouldn't have folded for two more and all I would have done is created a HUGE pot w/ pair of nines which makes it even more correct for them to chase postflop while I'm holding a very vulnerable hand. and while yes, 99 does have an equity edge preflop, it's not by much given the TAG preflop raiser combined w/ the two limpers. I really don't know why some consider this a raise/fold as one of the posters suggested. I elected to cold call given the situation, I think it was the correct play.

as the the flop, unless the TAG has an overpair or a Queen I'm not in any real danger from him, the rest of the table however is a concern (and if he had either, I think he'd have let me know about it). I needed to force out potential overs and get the table to define their hands. when the sb called 2 cold I put him on either a weak queen or a flush draw. w/ out a read I couldn't say which was more likely so betting the turn/checking behind the river is best b/c it still charges the flush draw while losing the same to a Queen - that is if I check behind and call the river hoping to pick off a bluff...

so anyway, the sb had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and my mhig while my friend feels dumb [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2006, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well played

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed, im trying to think of a better line and im coming up blank