Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 05:27 PM

Default NL200 - getting raised on flop with KK

Villain is 19/6. The rest of the table are similar. I've been raising a lot PF so far and villain cold calls a lot more than normal.
I guess I have a loose image but I haven't done anyhing strange post flop. I don't even cb the flop 100% and try to mix up a little.

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $379.13
UTG+1: $248.35
CO: $244.62
Button: $49.79
SB: $410.00
BB: $300.09

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7</font>, UTG+1 calls, 4 folds.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($17, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $16.15</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $35</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $106.15</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises all-in $206.35</font>

The odds to call are not too bad, but still what hands can he have here apart from set, slowplayed AA, 97s? Can he have QQ/JJ or some big draws like 5c6c etc.

Was my 3-bet was wrong on the flop? I was afraid that I had to pay off a set by just calling his bets OOP but maybe I got the maths wrong...

This NL thing is more complicated than I thought...
Old 11-28-2006, 05:31 PM

Default Re: NL200 - getting raised on flop with KK

Well as i see it this is a clear case where villain a set and u getting stacked right there is what is going to lose u the most money in the long run on those small pots against nits/tags and flops like that.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:35 PM

Raising the flop that much and folding seems pretty bad. If you include things like combo draws and QQ in his range, both of which are at least possible, then I think it becomes a pretty clear call at this point.

I'd probably just call the flop bet and then see what happens on the turn. On blanks, I'd decide between check/calling and making a smallish (maybe $40 or so into ~$90 pot) lead. Drawish hands will be less likely to repop you at that point, and I think QQ would be as well, so it would be a somewhat safer place to fold and would cost you less than the current flop play. I'd also bluff at a fair number of clubs; I'd consider bluffing on straight cards but I think those are a little too opaque.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:45 PM

how often does he raise flops?

I think there are 3 decent options (in order)
call re-eval turn
raise to $111 with intention to call push
fold (if he's passive on flop or against cbets)
Old 11-28-2006, 06:05 PM

He just raised you twice on the flop. Do you honestly believe you're ahead here? Fold and move on.

Don't dwell on whether or not you were getting a good price to get stacked here. Be glad you still have about half your stack in front of you.

MM...
Old 11-28-2006, 06:10 PM

tbh I totally missed his stack size. I thought we were on similar sizes, which was true last hand but not this hand obviously. NL newbie!

To Reef:
Rather passive- typical nit/TAG flop play but I noticed that he was a bit more active against my cbets. I folded 2 of his raises so far.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:11 PM

I push the flop. This disguises your KK with a club draw or a smaller overpair as well as your crazy image.

Your weak 3 bet gives EVERYTHING odds to call.

Sometimes you'll get called by AA, but you'll get a lot of draws and overpairs calling (TT/JJ/QQ). If he has 2 pair, then you have a few outs.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He just raised you twice on the flop. Do you honestly believe you're ahead here? Fold and move on.

Don't dwell on whether or not you were getting a good price to get stacked here. Be glad you still have about half your stack in front of you.

MM...

[/ QUOTE ]

I instafolded as per my plan b/c I thought his stack was as deep as mine. duh!

The reason I posted the hand was mainly to check what hands he can have there and I think QQ and combo draws are possible that he may as well go AI instead of just calling my 3-bet, due to his stack size.