Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 PM

Default AK vs maniac

3-6 game Im UTG AK raise very LAG maniac 3 bets and I cap preflop. Of course I have to be out of pos and no I cant move him off a hand. As this guy made a Royal about 20 mins prior to this hand and did not know he had a hand. So I miss the flop and check and call him all the way. Probably should of let it go on the turn. Stubborn me called to see his 34s take me down. What to do hmmmmmmm?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: AK vs maniac

[ QUOTE ]
Stubborn me called to see his 34s take me down. What to do hmmmmmmm?

[/ QUOTE ]

You were drawing live until the river. For all you know, you were ahead. I would never let go of AK headsup against a maniac. I just showdown and move on.

In your case, I would have been betting, and slowed down when he raised me. I want to set him up for when I do have a better hand, and so he can raise, and I can value threebet. ( I like value threebetting [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 11-28-2006, 01:50 PM

We need at least the flop to know how to proceed. Also, you need a better read on him. Does he play aggressive pre-flop and shut down on later streets? Does he fold when he's played back at on the flop/turn?

If he's the kinda guy to play aggressive pre-flop and dump on the flop or later, I'd c/r him on the flop/turn.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:52 PM

typically you get odds for 6 outs on the turn here. do you have 6 live outs? do you have the best hand? Calling down is ok I guess. By no means raise or bet or anything. Just check and call.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:11 PM

Once 4 bets go in preflop, I'm not folding AK heads up against this guy. Checking and calling the whole way is perfect against this guy; you will be surprised how often an unimproved AK is the best hand when all the cards are out.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I miss the flop and check and call him all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely standard operating procedure against a manaic. Doing anything else would suck horribly. You should be taking most of your A-high hands to showdown against players like this, and you should not be trying to push them off hands.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once 4 bets go in preflop, I'm not folding AK heads up against this guy. Checking and calling the whole way is perfect against this guy; you will be surprised how often an unimproved AK is the best hand when all the cards are out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hit you should bet and raise him infinum to get value from your hand. Unimproved you should jsut call down because you don't want to push him off of garbage and he will keep bluffing with nothing. Overly aggressive players lead to high variance but usually nice profit over time.