Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Really terrible or just sorta terrible SB play?

So last night I decided to play some LHE for the first time in a while but my BR is a little low so I had to drop to 1/2 for the first time in a while. I was feeling rather lofty after placing 2nd in a HORSE MTT earlier so I went in with a very superior feeling and giving the other players WAY too little credit. After not playing limit in a while I was bound to be rusty. Here is a hand that I think I botched on all streets and screwed up my session royally.

Hand convertor is acting up.
ull Tilt Poker Game #1312023571: Table Lillis (6 max) - $1/$2 - Limit Hold'em - 1:08:22 ET - 2006/11/27
Seat 1: BB
Seat 2: UTG
Seat 3: UTG+1
Seat 4: CO
Seat 5: BU
Seat 6: Hero
Hero posts the small blind of $0.50
BB posts the big blind of $1
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
UTG raises to $2
UTG+1 calls $2
CO folds
BUTTON calls $2
Hero calls $1.50
BB calls $1

No reads on PFR. UTG+1 is really LAGgy, always in pots, constantly cold calling preflop. I have picked off a ton of bluffs from him but he seems to keep out drawing me when I have a legit hand. Button is pretty weak, passive player. I only call with my hand because these 2 are in pot and it is suited...easy fold with 92?

*** FLOP *** [4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] (10SB)
Hero checks
BB checks
UTG bets $1
UTG+1 calls $1
BUTTON calls $1
HERO raises to $2
BB folds
UTG calls $1
UTG+1 calls $1
BUTTON calls $1

Uhhhh...easy bet, I don't know where that C/R came from. I should have bet and hoped that PFR would have cleared the field for me (and knowing his hand he likely would have). Maybe I was distracted by other table I was playing...
*** TURN *** [4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (9BB)
Hero bets $2
UTG calls $2
UTG+1 calls $2
BUTTON calls $2

Easy bet here? I think I have the best hand and if someone has just outdrawn me I'll probably get raised. Fold to a raise?

*** RIVER *** [4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (13BB)

Hero? I am guessing just bet again or c/c and hope bluffer puts out a bet, right? Can't fold in this huge pot, can I?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Really terrible or just sorta terrible SB play?

You want about 7:1 to play this here PF. You are getting 4:1.

Fold PF. As played the flop raise is not optimal. This flop raise is a value raise - what are the chances your 92 is good and will last through the turn with 3 callers? Getting 13:1 and better they are all sure to call. If you are hell bent on raising at least wait until the turn when your equity goes substantially up or down.

I'd peel this flop with your 4 outer and then c/f the turn when the dangerous 8 hits.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You want about 7:1 to play this here PF. You are getting 4:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually 5.5:1 because I am SB.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:15 PM

I'm folding PF
I prefer to c/c flop, it's hard to know if we are any good here, pretty much why I don't like calling this PF.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:10 PM

Pretty ugly overall, first of all easy fold pf. Lead flop, lead turn, river c/f with that many ppl still in the pot you are barely ever ahead here.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:41 PM

Why lead the flop here? Give worse hands the chance to get away and allow better hands to raise? I c/c the flop and evaluate again on the turn.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why lead the flop here? Give worse hands the chance to get away and allow better hands to raise? I c/c the flop and evaluate again on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then what do you do on turn?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:55 PM

Fold preflop.

Check/fold the flop and cut your loses. If you want to take a chance, lead the flop. C/r'g with a 2 kicker doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 PM

Very simple preflop fold.

I like checking and evaluating. Once all these calls get to you, just call on the flop. On this particular turn card I would bet/fold. And then on that river I would check/fold assuming we got as many calls as we did in the hand where you check/raised the flop.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:00 PM

Yeah I figured this whole thing was terrible. Anyway UTG+1 fish showed 87, narrowly beating PFRs 77...ugh. Made the difference between profit and loss in THAT session. I built a pot with nothing then folded for 1 bet to a bluffer on a fishy river bet. Go me.