Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 02:34 PM

Default how fast is 1.5Mbps

I got an offer from my phone company to get high speed internet at 1.5 Mbps through my phone line. Can anyone tell me how fast this is in comparison to broadband? The offer from the phone company is over 25% cheaper than what I pay for broadband, but I don't want to get it if it is considerably slower.

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-27-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: how fast is 1.5Mbps

I think it depends on what you use your internet for. EX.. email, poker and the basics its all you need. If you play any kinds of online games or download any files. Well then its not worth it. I get 10 mbps and i couldnt live without it.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:37 PM

Well, if by "broadband" you mean Cable, DSL will probably be slower. One thing about DSL, is it is dedicated, so you get your own line and your speed should always be 1.5Mbps.

With cable, however, you share it with your neighbors. So the more people who have it, the slower it will be. But it will most likely still be faster than DSL.

1.5Mbps should be fine for playing poker and browsing the internet, but you will probably notice a bigger difference when playing any type of multiplayer games online or downloading things such as music or movies.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if by "broadband" you mean Cable, DSL will probably be slower. One thing about DSL, is it is dedicated, so you get your own line and your speed should always be 1.5Mbps.

With cable, however, you share it with your neighbors. So the more people who have it, the slower it will be. But it will most likely still be faster than DSL.

1.5Mbps should be fine for playing poker and browsing the internet, but you will probably notice a bigger difference when playing any type of multiplayer games online or downloading things such as music or movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mostly agree but it really depends on your market. In some areas cable is so oversold that 1.5Mbit DSL will normally be faster than a 6Mbit cable connection. In most areas the reverse is true.

1.5 is plenty to multi-table (I've tried to push the limit opening a buttload of playchip tables (since I was shooting for disconnection problems...no point doing it w/ real cash since I'm totally non-baller) until they started dropping out...this was done on UB since once you reach the maximum number of tables (which varies...either 5, 6, or 9) you can still register for SNG's and open more). I didn't run into problems until around 28-30 tables and even at that it likely wasn't a bandwidth problem.

As long as you can tolerate download speeds of ~120-150KB/sec (that's kiloBYTES, not bits) which equates to roughly 1.5 hrs per full CD image (like a Linux .iso), then 1.5 is fine.

If you're used to d/l'ing large files (CD images, movies, DVD images, etc) quicker, then you should prolly stay w/ your current connection.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A T1 line is 1.554Mbps, mathematically it is about 198 Kilobytes per second.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.544Mbps = 1,544,000 bits per sec
divided by 8 bits per byte = 193,000 bytes/sec
divided by 1024 bytes per kilobyte = 188.4765625 Kilobytes per second.

Yeah, I'm a nit. Sorry.
(at least I didn't include any overhead or latency)
Old 11-27-2006, 03:03 PM

my cable runs at 4.5Mbps on download.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:44 PM

A T1 line is 1.554Mbps, mathematically it is about 198 Kilobytes per second.

Meaning at its fastest, you could download a 20MB pr0n in about one minute and 40 seconds [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

DSL is broadband. Broadband is simply a broad term for high speed Internet access over the phone, cable or satellite equipment.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.5 Mbps

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak. I just ordered my Verizon FIOS service today. 30Mbs upload/ 5 Mbs download. Woot!

But seriously, 1.5 Mbs in today's world is only meh. And as mentioned above that's its peak, which it will never run at. I will tell you this though, it's better than dial up!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1.5 Mbps

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak. I just ordered my Verizon FIOS service today. 30Mbs upload/ 5 Mbs download. Woot!

But seriously, 1.5 Mbs in today's world is only meh. And as mentioned above that's its peak, which it will never run at. I will tell you this though, it's better than dial up!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sad. FiOS isn't available at my house yet, but my friend a ½ mile from me has it...

I'm happy to pay the $190/mo for that kind of speed...

too bad their 10mb downstream package only has 2mb up. I would love like a 15/5 or 10/5 for less than the $190/mo for 30/5.

My comcast right now is 12mbps down, 384kbps up =(.

at my office we got a T1 and 1.5mbps down feels REALLY slow
Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of weak...FIOS TOS really sucks balls. You basically can't upload anything but HTTP responses.

Great for download....worst service on Earth for anything else. And yes...I'm jealous and I'd sign up for it if it hit my block cause I don't do the p2p crap and my hosting is done elsewhere.