Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 12:29 AM

Default New guy here, Any advice needed please ask

Just got out of school and got a b.s. in automotive technology, just wanted to offer any of my services so I can add something to this great forum. Street raced for about 4 years, worked on everything from pontiac's to bmw, and toyota's. Built some cars for a bunch of people(performance- turbo kits and what not). Just if you guys are having a problem with your car or are in the market please feel free to ask me whatever you want.

What i'm driving right now
88 supra turbo modded
90 laredo 4x4
93 civic dx (40mpg)
87 Fz700 Yamaha

And when it comes to finding a good mechanic have him do a somewhat difficult task and see how he responds to it. I will tell you what you should pay and how long it should take. Word of mouth is a great way to find a good shop in your area. Dealerships are pricey but you get a good job done with good parts most of the time.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:39 AM

Default Re: New guy here, Any advice needed please ask

Kmon - here's a tricky one for you.

Vehicle: 1998 Grand Prix GT, 75k miles
Engine: 3800II (3.8L, non-supercharged)

From vehicle specs, as well as forum reports, most people get roughly 18mpg city and 28mpg highway. Some reports as high as 30mpg highway.

My current vehicle is getting around 18mpg mixed driving - typically 15-16 city and 22-23 highway.

What's been done:
- spark plugs & wires replaced
- air filter replaced
- fuel filter replaced
- tire pressure checked
- BG intake flush performed

No change whatsoever.

Check engine light (CEL) is NOT on.

Suggestions?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:42 AM

o2 sensors can be a culprit when it comes to gas milage, You really hit most of the major components and i'm impressed, plugs, fuel and air filter.

Are you getting black smoke out of your exhaust? Because there you can see if your running pig rich and not having a good a/f air fuel ratio.

If you also get stuck in rush hour traffic and a lot of city driving that can really hurt your mpg.

I'll check a couple grand prix forums this week and see how soon the o2 sensors usually fail.

Out of all the things you have replaced that is one of the only things I can imagine. Also Like on my buddies acura gsr integra we did the same thing trying to get fuel milage, the thermostat which controls the heat dissapation from your engine to your radiator could be an issue and if it hasn't been replaced could be a bad mpg culprit.

Also how you drive and what the load is in your car.

So o2 sensors or thermostat could be a solution. I'll think about this some more as i just got home and have had a couple of drinks.(not good for poker or thinking in general most of the time, women included...lol)

Let me know if you have replaced those two? If not and your somewhat handy I can walk you through replacing the two.

Keep em coming guys I always like helping out.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:06 AM

Kmon:

Regarding your suggestions,

O2 sensors have not been replaced. Because the check-engine-light was not on, we assumed they were fine. I also asked a mechanic to run an ODBII scan on them, and he said that everything looked normal. (However, I'm not too sure how closely he looked at the cross-counts - he may just have seen it running and assumed it was ok).

The thermostat has not been changed out either, but temperatures seem within the normal range.

Let me know if you find anything else!
Old 11-27-2006, 11:44 AM

Kmon,

Saw that your fastest speed on a motorcycle was on I-57 in southern illinois and that you appear to be a Chicago area resident. Are you an SIUC grad?

May 2004 grad here.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:10 PM

hell yeah man, just graduated in may 06 from siuc. Good to see Ricky Booby, shake and bake baby.

I'll take a look at the forums, and see when the o2 sensors cut out usually. What is your normal driving conditions?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 PM

Well,

My current driving conditions are lousy. About 1/2 stop-and-go, the other 1/2 highway.

Even if you assume 16mpg stop-and-go and 28mpg highway, that still averages out to 22mpg, where i'm getting closer to 19mpg mixed. (3mpg less).

I also observed the poor highway mileage (23-24mpg) on long roadtrips ( chicago -> DC for 11 hours doing a steady 75mph or so).

BTW, I graduated from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I miss the chicago-area already. DC blows.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:50 PM

Awesome. Saluki's represent!
Old 11-28-2006, 02:07 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HOW CAN I TRICK OUT MY 2007 CIVIC COUPE(automatic [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])?????????

rj
Old 11-28-2006, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HOW CAN I TRICK OUT MY 2007 CIVIC COUPE(automatic [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])?????????

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't.