Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Sports Management major

I've talked to one person on this subject but with deadlines looming I needed some more information.

I'm a HS senior, loved sports all my life and I don't really have a passion so I've given a lot of thought into going into this major.

Has anyone majored in this? If so, I'd love to hear about experiences. The problem I have run into is that some programs are really good while others seem to be not so good. I've heard a lot of good things about certain Sports Management programs while others are titled "Sports and Fitness Recreation" or something along those lines, and seem to be not exactly what I'm looking for.

Don't know if this will help but here are the schools I am applying to, so maybe I can get some individual information concerning everything.

-Ohio State, U of Florida, U of South Carolina, UNC Chapel Hill, and Clemson.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Sports Management major

i have a friend who did this a few years back at Cortland, NY...he says he loves it as he learns some things in marketing and finance, but also loves the sports aspect of it. Seems to me he is enjoying himself and actually learning something.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:34 PM

I was gonna focus on Sports Management, but I was talked out of it because it was too focused. Advisors told me Marketing would be better because it is broader. I am focusing on Marketing and a possible minor in sports man. and an internship with sports marketing at my school.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:37 PM

My friend at Syracuse is majoring in Sports Management. From what he says it seems like they have a good program.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:52 PM

I saw you listed Ohio State. It wasn't on your list, but I understand Ohio University has (or had when I was there) one of the top programs in the country. You might want to consider that unless there was a reason you were applying at OSU.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw you listed Ohio State. It wasn't on your list, but I understand Ohio University has (or had when I was there) one of the top programs in the country. You might want to consider that unless there was a reason you were applying at OSU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good suggestion. I had looked at OU before and saw that it was a good school, but I had my mind set on going out of state (I live in Ohio). I still am pretty sure that I am going out of state, but I am applying to OSU as a fallback in case I can't bring myself to moving so far away. OSU has a pretty good program as well so its not a bad option.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:33 PM

OP, i have a 15 page paper to write as adam everett's agent doing negotiation for his new contract, PM if you would like to do it as experience.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, i have a 15 page paper to write as adam everett's agent doing negotiation for his new contract, PM if you would like to do it as experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's a tough job, Adam Everett sucks...
Old 11-27-2006, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's a tough job, Adam Everett sucks...

[/ QUOTE ]

he's the best defensive player in the majors.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 AM

do not major in sports management. no way

i'm a sports management major at nyu, the program is supposed to be good here it sucks. but as far as sports management as a general major it is a HUGE mistake. How many upper level executives in sports organizations are sports management majors? ZERO

all the sports management majors wind up doing nothing more than middle level marketing guys. You have zero chance of getting a job right out of school that makes over 40k(and even that is at the high end). u are much much better off to major in something like economics and then get a job in sports. i assure u a sports management major has no advantage in applying for a job at a sports team over an economics major.

i am btw as big a sports fan as u will find.