Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 04:04 AM

Default Getting angry at small losses?

I play NL currently. A pretty swingy game, any given session can be +- whatever.

My problem is that I'll finish a session, and say I'm down 1/2 to 1 buyin, and it makes me really angry. Every big pot I question, I feel like I played terribly, etc etc. Basically being really results oriented.

Any tips to get over this? I know there will be -5 BI days and I need to mentally prepare for them.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Getting angry at small losses?

Link
Old 11-26-2006, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Getting angry at small losses?

I think part of it depends on if you feeled you play poorly, were you getting whupped by a more experienced player/table, making calls/bets you shouldn't have, and so forth. Were you happy with your play afterwards and just got cold decked, or were there some mistakes you could identify and work to correct in the future?

For myself, I'm a lower-limit player and the swings I usually see aren't as crazy as the pro players on here. I know there are people here who have lost pots larger than my what I have set aside for my poker fun. When I end a session down a buyin or a good chunk of one, I probably have a better time letting it roll of my back since the stakes aren't so high. Maybe you need to play a little lower until you get used to the variance that does happen when you get sucked out on, make a bad read, etc.?