Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 04:03 PM

Default Tells - The check

Hello all,

First time poster. Hope this isn't in the wrong place.

I play brick and mortar poker primarily, and something I've been thinking about a lot is a little tell I'm trying to figure out - how people check.

Typically, a lot of players either wrap with their knuckles, tap with a finger, or do an open-handed check - palm up. Has anyone given any consideration to the body language / tells this might be giving off, and how to exploit and read it?

I haven't come up with anything really solid yet myself, so I figured I'd consult the poker community.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Tells - The check

open handed check -palm facing up is always a sign of honesty and telling truth. (according to basic body lanuage study) so i dunno whether a player would do this deceptively or not.
Plus i'd imaging every player is different.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:58 PM

it doesn't matter as much what way people check as much as it matters if whatever way they normally check varies. watch hands and body language when people check-fold versus when they check-raise. some people go to extremes by doing the classic 'weak when strong' by looking disgusted at the flop/turn/river and checking in an 'annoyed' way, then coming over the top when opponent bets. that's an extreme case, but you can pick up subtle differences for a lot of people if you watch carefully enough.

same thing goes with betting style. i picked up a nice tell just yesterday from a regular opponent who does a casual flick-throw bet when he's got something and a deliberate chip-stacking bet when he's bluffing.

most players in most games don't even watch for this sort of thing, but if you're playing in a game with any sophisticated players, the best thing to do is either do the same exact thing (robot) every time, or (more interestingly, to thwart boredom), vary the way you check and bet in a random way to give off false tells.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Indeed a 'control' is necessary when trying to determine tells - I know of course that things like open palmed checking wouldn't be indicative of anything for every player. Just wondering if anyone has ever looked into this sort of thing as a tell.

Good catch roadsweeper - thats exactly what made me think of it. I'm reading a book on body language as we speak.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
open handed check -palm facing up is a sign of honesty and telling truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting. good first post
Old 11-26-2006, 12:04 AM

I make a check mark on the felt and say: "czeckoslavakia!"

I do it every time consistently, so there is no tell. It just really effin annoys people [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2006, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I make a check mark on the felt and say: "czeckoslavakia!"

I do it every time consistently, so there is no tell. It just really effin annoys people [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i'm pretty sure i'd be annoyed if i sat at your table.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:55 PM

That'a my edge. Do you see why?

Tricks like that get people playing emotionally and therefore coming at me. That is +ev for me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]