Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 03:01 AM

Default dreams - or, what in hell is wrong with me?

i have very odd dreams. so does most everyone, i know.

in my dreams, i am almost always 99% in control. this has been happening since i was about ten. i was dreaming i was on a field trip with my friends when i suddenly realized i was really 4000 miles away, across the atlantic and the red sea, sleeping at my cousin's house. i started talking to people in my dream. "you know this is a dream, right?" "what are you talking about?" and i lay down on the grass and woke myself up. ever since then, i've had an uncanny capacity for conscious thought while dreaming. i am aware that i am dreaming, but there are no laws of space or time. it's like living in a matrix construct. i can phase in and out of control. if i don't feel like choosing my own path, i can manually shut down and have my dream take me somewhere, then pick up control again without waking up. i can usually wake up on command.

so, when i wake up, i remember about 1/3 of my dreams, but i always remember having been in control. i have a journal keeping them ever since i was 16, which is about when i realized that not everyone dreams like this. they're mostly just scratched out thoughts, but they are very powerful and the images the words i scribble out evoke are very real. i feel like i live two separate lives, one while i'm conscious and walking around and talking with friends and playing poker, and a dreamy life where i'm completely alone but have ultimate control over all circumstances, including people i meet and what they do. obviously it's very difficult to talk to anyone about that life, but there's days where it definitely seems more real than... well, real life. which creates a very weird schism in my consciousness. it's very hollywood: there are long periods of time at the beginning of the day where i honestly don't know where i am. my personality seems the same in my dreams, just a little bit... freer. i don't ever have to pretend to be anything i'm not.

so, in other words, i just woke up from a nap and i don't really know if i'm really writing this, so here are some responses i'd theoretically like to help me understand this:

1) similar experiences
2) vague philosophical questions
3) what's on page x of the journal
4) pokerstars transfers in return for me acting out your whatif scenarios in my dreams then reporting back

i don't know if there's a better place for this, but again, for all i know i'm not really writing this.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:08 AM

Default Re: dreams - or, what in hell is wrong with me?

Dude, you might wanna see someone about that. Not being sure if you're awake or not can't be good for you.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:15 AM

Lucid Dreaming. There is a phrase for what you experience.

I had them frequently when I was young, but not so much. But with various techniques you can become a frequent lucid dreamer. It sounds like you pretty much have it under control, be glad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Read up on Stephen LaBerge and be happy you are a natural [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (most likely because you keep a dream journal)

There are also ways to check if you are dreaming or not. A lot of material is written on lucid dreaming, im surpised you havent looked it up yourself
Old 11-25-2006, 04:22 AM

Tell us what's on page 20 of your journal.

Also, watch Waking Life.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:40 AM

Can you do cool things like bitchslap Osama Bin Laden or have a sleepover with Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen and have the dreams feel 100% real?

If so, this thread is worthless without dream journal entries.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:41 AM

I do this ttoo alot, its cool, I used to get it more frequently than now though, it happens during REM or right before? i forget.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:22 PM

lucid dreaming is pretty fun, I have it every now and then but not every night.

I have a lot of strange sleep things happen, but when I told a friend that I have lucid dreams quite often he told me to try and leave my physical body but stay in the "real" world not a dream world. It's not easy to do, but it's possible to have Out of Body experiences by causing yourself to leave your lucid dream and go into the physical world.

This sounds strange, but it can be quite fun.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:29 PM

95% of my dreams involve me killing someone or me about to get killed. Whenever one of these things happen I usually figure out it's a dream and it becomes lucid from that point in.

My reasoning is always "gee, whenevr I kill someone or get killed I'm always dreaming" I wonder if I ever kill someone in real life, or when I die, If I might just think I'm dreaming.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:54 PM

I've been having lucid dreams for at least ten years now, speaking of my own experience, sure you could do it, but it won't feel real. Since you know you're actually dreaming and have control over everything but get no input from your senses, it's a bit different. It's not like actually experiencing something, more like a mix between a really good memory and a daydream.
I'd have no problem bitchslapping bin Laden and have him react to it, but I still wouldn't feel anything.

The only trouble I've got with it is that I can have a hard time remembering if something was just a dream or something that really happened, I don't have a hard time waking up properly.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:51 PM

random sh1t to try and do in lucid dreams:
(I started doing some of these becasue I saw other people mention them; then they were locked into my subconcious I guess): Run AS FAST AS YOU CAN, then as you are running start doing flips and backflips and sh1t; this seriously feels REALLY good. Also good that someone on here mentioned a while back is just sitting down and meditating in a lucid dream; for some reason this feels really good.

If you do any of these things as a result of this post, send me a msg! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Dreaming is really cool. Sometimes I will have conversations with friends that I can't see in reality, in my dreams.