Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Razz beginner

I have lurked for a while and decided to finally start posting. I also recently started playing Razz, mostly because I was getting bored with HE (I play mainly 6-max NL).

So, here are two hands that I have no clue about. I am sure this is standard and boring but...I have no clue. I am reading through all the past Razz posts on here and am sure that these plays will become painfully obvious but, until then, I would appreciate any help.

First hand, do I raise on 3rd? Villian had not been at the table long so I really didn't have a good read. I hated my call on the river. I think I played the rest okay.

Razz ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.80 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.90 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (4.90 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (6.90 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (8.90 BB - $4.45)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $4.45 | Rake $0.20

Note: this site shuffles the hole cards.

Seat 3: [7c 5h 3h 7d 5d 4c 2h] - 7,5,4,3,2

</font>

Second hand, good raise on 3rd? Seat 2 would complete with any low card showing, no matter what his hole cards were. Seat 7 had just sat down but 3 betting with an 8... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Razz ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (13.60 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (8.30 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (11.30 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (13.30 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (13.30 BB - $6.65)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $6.65 | Rake $0.30

Note: this site shuffles the hole cards.

Seat 7: [9h 5s 8d 6d Qh 7d 2h] - 8,7,6,5,2

</font>

Please go easy!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Razz beginner

Firstly Welcome to the forum.

I am also just learning the game so please take my read with a pinch of salt.

Hand 1.
3rd raise with 3 to a 5 starting hand and even re-raise if you can.
4th bet ok with me and re-raise if op raises.
5th call ok
6th call ok
7th fold op prob has 8 or lower.

Hand 2.
street 3-7 ok possible fold on 6th if you think op has a 7 or lower. fold 7th if there's a bet
Old 11-24-2006, 05:38 PM

Hi .... new to razz also but I can see two sides to 3rd street on the 1st hand.

On one hand, like big e stated with a 3-5 up you normally raise .....however Razz is a game of dead cards .... and there are quite a few low cards out. But since you have good position and many folds I think your call here is fine.

Even if you were raising with the intent of seeing where you might be, chances are (and whats seems to have happened anyway) are that anyone with pairs or high cards in the hole will have folded before the raise.

If you were in early position then I would say you definitely should raise.

The rest of the hand I think you played ok. I mean you say your river play was horrible but if you were gonna call 6th then its actually almost always a mistake to fold to one more bet on the river....unless you're dead sure you're beat. If you were gonna fold you shoulda folded 6th.

Hand 2 ..... I agree with big e.

Prolly fold on 6th, but given your reads.... not a bad line over all.

-mike
Old 11-26-2006, 12:52 PM

1st hand:

Raise 3rd. While there are 4 low cards out, 2 of those help you because they are cards you hold.

I would fold 6th. 90+% of the time he has a made 7 or better . You could be drawing to one of 3 aces just to earn a split.