Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Stars $100 HU-sng - Tough spot with baby Full House

Scenario: About twenty hands into the match. Villain is a small loser according to Sharkscope, slightly on the passive side, although he did reraise me once out of the BB w QTs after I had raised his blind five hands in a row.

Hero is in the big blind w 22, stacksizes: hero about 1400, Villain 1600. Villain raises to 3bb (60), hero calls. Flop AA2 rainbow (pot 120), Hero checks, Villain checks behind. Turn Kh hero bets 140, Villain calls. Good, he's got the Ace and is "trapping" me, pot 400.

River Jh, completing the backdoor heartflush. Hero bets 300, has 900 left. Villain starts to chat and says: not the heart flush, or something like that, Hollywoods for about 30 secs and then goes all-in. Hero?

Pot odds: call 900 to win 1900, or about 2 to 1. Folding leaves us with plenty of chips to play on. A call is basically a bet he has AQ/AT/Ace-rag. Calling and winning most likely wins the match, folding leaves us with plenty of chips to play on and calling and losing puts us on minor tilt. I really didnt know what to do. On the one hand I couldnt imagine him raising me with a hand I was beating, on the other hand folding felt really, really weak and just not good either. There are many more Ace combo's we beat than combo's that beat us, but would the losing combo's put us all-in? What do you do? Goldmund
Old 11-24-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Stars $100 HU-sng - Tough spot with baby Full House

[ QUOTE ]
Pot odds: call 900 to win 1900, or about 2 to 1. Folding leaves us with plenty of chips to play on. A call is basically a bet he has AQ/AT/Ace-rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he has the heart flush?

The only hands that beat you, are very big hands PF; AK - AJ - KK - JJ, how would he play these PF? Standard raise?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:29 PM

I thought the heart flush was pretty irrelevant. His chat about it sounded to me more like a ploy to create confusion, or appear weaker than he was. The AK/KK/AJ hands would probably have played as scripted, JJ would have folded on the turn I think. Goldmund

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pot odds: call 900 to win 1900, or about 2 to 1. Folding leaves us with plenty of chips to play on. A call is basically a bet he has AQ/AT/Ace-rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he has the heart flush?

The only hands that beat you, are very big hands PF; AK - AJ - KK - JJ, how would he play these PF? Standard raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-24-2006, 03:30 PM

I still call this after his chat. There is enough chance that he has the heart flush that it is worth it.

Also, does this really tilt you to lose this?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, does this really tilt you to lose this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it would, albeit just a little. Goldmund
Old 11-24-2006, 04:09 PM

He could also still just have trips and is really worried about the hearts, but decided that He still probably has you beat. The more I look at this, the easier this seems to call.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain starts to chat and says: not the heart flush, or something like that, Hollywoods for about 30 secs and then goes all-in. Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuts 99% ot the time. Instafold.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain starts to chat and says: not the heart flush, or something like that, Hollywoods for about 30 secs and then goes all-in. Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuts 99% ot the time. Instafold.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? I agree its possible, but 99%? I dont really ever have villains chat at me like this.

Also I've never heard of folding a full house HU but if any FH hand could be folded it is this one.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:02 PM

Was one of the Aces on the flop the Ah? Whatever, I'm calling. I think you win more than enough to justify it. But what do I know this is way above my stakes.

RH
Old 11-25-2006, 07:33 PM

I think your read is good. Take the chat out of the equation: A check on that flop means at least an A or absolutely nothing, or maybe KK. A smooth call on the turn means a draw or a trap. An all-in on the river means a monster (better than trips) or a bluff. He's clearly not afraid of the flush.

I think the chat helps you figure out he doesn't have the flush because I've never seen a player say something like this, live or online, and have the same hand he's talking about unless it's the absolute nuts (eg-"You don't have quads do you?" and then he shows quads). He wouldn't say anything about a flush, then actually have it with a pair on board.

He played it like his hand was unbeatable on every street. I think AJ or KK are the worst hands he could have here, but AA or AK is much more likely. I would have been inclined to fold the 22 and show it and maybe put a scare into him as to how good you are at reading him.

I think this is one of the rare HU sng situations where you go by your read and ignore all other conventional wisdom.

Lee