Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2006, 08:48 PM

Default health insurance

Mods, if this doesn't belong here, please move me to the right place.

Guys,

For the past year I've gone without insurance. Well recently the worst happened and I realized I def. can't go without insurance anymore. I've talked with a couple friends and my friend Kent suggested his insurance company which is like 100 a month but you have to pay 2k and they cover the rest if the worst happens. I def. don't want to deal with that. I'm looking for the standard 15 dollar copay and dental. I ordered some stuff from blue cross blue sheild but that is 800 bucks a month which is absurd. Do any pros have some good advice, asides from getting a job with benifits. lol. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:35 PM

Default Re: health insurance

You seem to have researched the options. If you don't want a deductable it costs a lot.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:11 PM

I got an Aetna plan on ehealthinsurance.com ... I think it's like $350 for my wife and I (no kids). Plenty of options that start at extremely basic/cheap and go up from there.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got an Aetna plan on ehealthinsurance.com ... I think it's like $350 for my wife and I (no kids). Plenty of options that start at extremely basic/cheap and go up from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is also very dependant on where you live.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:35 AM

Location is everything. Beverly Hills is very different from Eyeblink, ND. Also, you have to submit a health history. Can you qualify?

Individual dental coverage is a very bad value play. Low coverage, high expense. Better choice, high deductible plan coupled with MSA account that you fund pre-tax to pay your small med and dental bills.

Health care is 14% of our national GDP. As a result, health insurance cannot be and will not be cheap. Get local advice and get covered.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:53 AM

I think I have State Farm and it's about $250/month w/ perhaps a $1500 deductable.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:04 AM

You are not going to find inexpensive health insurance w/o a huge deductable.

[ QUOTE ]
Well recently the worst happened and I realized I def. can't go without insurance anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Also if you have just discovered that you have some sort of condition, you may not be able to any insurance at all. If this is the case, I would suggest you find some kind of group health plan(which doesn't require a medical history/exam). I think the Poker Player's Alliance or some other poker organization might have some type of group plan.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:14 AM

I also used eheathinsurance.

I got a decent rate of $160 a month or me, 28 single, smoker. $500 deductable, 80/20. no dental.

It's not the best but it'll do for now. They did recently cover some fairly large expenses(Head MRI and neuro consult).
Old 11-24-2006, 04:31 AM

Are there really poker organizations with group plans?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:35 AM

Well I currently live in md, soon to move to LV. I have no prior conditions but i sprained my leg. I'm gonna get a settlement and everything should be fine. I imagine showin a current leg sprain would be horrific. Any other suggestions?