Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 01:26 PM

Default HORSE .50/1.00 High Only Hand

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (5.20 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (4.10 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.10 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls___calls

River - (19.10 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls___calls___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises___raises

Total pot: (31.10 BB)

I slammed the brakes on on sixth becasue I figured I was up against a straight or a flush and planned to fold seventh unimproved. Was this an okay plan? Can I find a fold here? SHOULD I find a fold here?

On seventh I guessed that one of the two villians would bet and I could get cute and try a FPS-esque check raise since nobody was going to fold into a pot that big. I got lucky and was right.

Stud high is my worst game in HORSE so I'd appreciate any comments I could get.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: HORSE .50/1.00 High Only Hand

I think you played the hand fine, with the possible exceptions of betting out on 6th street and capping the betting on the river.

On 6th street, you really have to figure that at least one of the two players is ahead of you, and although it's possible that the opponents could be reading you for a K-hi flush you are certainly going to be faced with at least one raise. At this point you can save yourself at least one bet by checking and calling, making an unimproved fold on the river easier.

Noteworthy both on 6th street and the river is Seat #2's play. On 6th street, he both raises and caps the betting with only a Q-hi flush represented, and Seat #5 is representing a K-hi flush. You know that Seat #2 can't have an A-hi club flush beacuse you have the A of clubs in the hole. Therefore, Seat #2 either has the K of clubs in the hole and is counting on his Q of clubs to be able to outkick Seat #6 (assuming that Seat #6 doesn't have the A of spades underneath), or (more ominously) Seat #2 has a straight flush (3-4-5-6-7c).

Thus, while I don't have a problem with your initial check-raise play on the river, when Seat #2 re-raises, despite the fact that your check-raise clearly indicates you made a Full-House or even Quads, you ought to just call because Seat #2 likely does indeed have the straight flush.

Hopefully, my read is wrong and Seat #2 is just your run-of-the-mill maniac, but I'll be interested to see you post the results.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, Seat #2 either has the K of clubs in the hole and is counting on his Q of clubs to be able to outkick Seat #6 (assuming that Seat #6 doesn't have the A of spades underneath), or (more ominously) Seat #2 has a straight flush (3-4-5-6-7c).

[/ QUOTE ]

That would require him to not raise a Q6543 flush on fifth when he has a board lock and can face an possible king-high flush draw with two bets cold. That seems like pushing it a bit. Also, he knows Seat 6 doesn't have the As because it's on our board.

I'd always put the fourth bet in; given that Seat 6 is coming along and we can't be five-bet, he has to have the straight flush almost all the time to make it unprofitable.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:12 PM

I like the analysis and agree for the most part and I think checking on 6th is prudent. As an alternative though, given the flush board that we developed though and knowing their aces are dead, I would be tempted to just bet since it would take someone having KQ to raise (assuming they are even paying attention). Even if they do raise you still have outs so its not disastrous, plus you can fold if they bet out and you whiff. check/call both streets gets two bets in and bet/call a raise 6th and fold river is the same, assuming you can make that fold....that being said, IF you can fold the river then betting may be better because you can get the extra bets in when you fill.

As for the river, I like the thinking on the straight flush, but I would still cap the river. Looking at our hand, he saw our ace-flush folded as well and he may very well think a KQ flush is going to take it. At this level I'm not sure that most of the players are thinking hero has more than a flush when he check-raises. I'd certainly be willing to throw the extra buck in there with hero's hand and not give the guy credit for thinking he's beat.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:36 PM

PURE LUNACY!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick to wine tasting, bree cheese and bad bondoing.

Hope you won the hand and showed those guy what Snap-On Tools are all about!

Luv,
Eric
Old 11-22-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, he knows Seat 6 doesn't have the As because it's on our board.

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH!!! Good catch...not sure how I missed that, as obvious as it is.

Nonetheless, I don't have a problem at all imagining that Seat #2 could have just smooth called on 5th street with Q6543 of clubs, knowing that he's not going to be knocking anyone out by raising and that his hand is indeed vulnerable to the two opponents if it doesn't improve. In fact, the way Seat #2 just calls 5th street and then goes icky-balooky on 6th street just makes me believe it more likely that he made a straight flush on 6th.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:40 PM

I don't understand betting out on 6th, but I am certainly capping the river. If he has a SF, NH. With another player in the pot, I can't think he has a SF enough times for betting to be unprofitable. And at this level (which is what I play), he doesn't have to be anywhere near a SF to play the river like he does- your board isn't even showing a pair (and most of them won't get that your early street play is representing a buried high pair- likely aces). Also, I don't think I've ever seen someone not raise with a made flush at .50/1
Old 11-22-2006, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand betting out on 6th, but I am certainly capping the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't bother to look at the opponents boards on sixth. I just auto bet out. You know, keep your foot to the floor untill somebody runs you off the road, which they did. Once all hell broke loose behind me I figured I was screwed unimproved. In retrospect, I'm not sure it would of been any different if I'd of check called (those other two would of likely capped the action with or without me).

From now on I'll pay more attention to the board before I bet out. Prudence will be tougher to teach I suspect.

Aces full held up to both the K high and Q high flush.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:36 PM

Betting 6th is a mistake. He will bet this board regardless of his holdings when you check to him, so a bet goes in the pot whether or not he has the flush. By betting, you win one or zero bets when he doesn't have a flush, but you lose two when he has it.

The rest of the hand looks pretty standard.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 PM

Betting 6th is a clear error - if you check, it's going to likely be bet anyway and you don't have to risk a raise. With clubs as live as they are, you are most likely against a completed hand and require improvement.

Jeff