Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 02:20 AM

Default Play A-10o on button....

Generally loose/aggeressive 8/18 live game. Relatively unknown MP open raises-2 callers, and I call on button with A-10o. How bad is this call? By the way, blinds were not prone to raise in this situation. I have the table image of tight and moderately aggressive, which at this table is like having a bullseye painted on your chest. Please tell me how bad I play, and why.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Play A-10o on button....

Horrifyingly bad. Your hand isn't good enough for a raise for one, and it doesn't play well multiway, so the callers don't help but hurt.

The only time you play this here is if the raiser is loose enough to threebet with AT and there are no callers.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:28 AM

With an unknown raiser and 2 callers, I just dump the hand. If I had a read on the MP raiser as someone who raises light, I would usually 3 bet with no callers. I'd also consider 3 betting a late position raise from a loose raiser or a position aware raiser. In this hand though, neither of those are an option so I just toss it in the muck and wait for a better spot. However, if it is a relatively loose and aggressive game, I don't think it's a horrid call especially if you play well after the flop, but I still don't like it.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:45 AM

I think your cold-call is bad, but not horrendous.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:15 AM

cold calling with A 10o is terrible. Even A 10s is bad.

Sure you may win some pots with this but it is negative expectiation. Even if you catch an Ace expect to be dominated the majority of the time.

To call with A 10s you need more callers to make this play profitable

No Profit - Dump the hand
Old 11-22-2006, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Sure you may win some pots with this but it is negative expectiation. Even if you catch an Ace expect to be dominated the majority of the time.

To call with A 10s you need more callers to make this play profitable

No Profit - Dump the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I think those that are saying this call is "terrible" are way too rigid in their pf thinking. I don't like the call, but I don't think it's terrible. The game is loose aggressive, and there is a raise from a MP player. The 2 cold callers could potentially have anything so I don't give a lot of merit to their hands. I'm folding this personally, but I really don't like the fit or fold mentality of just saying this is terrible. I personally think the ev range is somewhat broad depending on the players and how well hero plays after the flop.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would auto-muck ATo here, but I wouldn't say coldcalling with it is "terrible." It's an error, but it's not THAT bad.

Coldcalling with ATs is definitely not bad. If I decided I was going to play it against a single raiser I would 3-bet it, but there are a bunch of situations where coldcalling with this hand would be perfectly fine.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:18 AM

cold calling raises with hands like A-10o is one of the biggest leaks there is. (Hence very bad call)

It leads to mistakes post-flop. If an ace flops you are tied in till the end and against a raiser you are likely to be dominated.

It is best to ditch these hands without a second thought
Old 11-22-2006, 11:51 AM

It'd be useful to know what kind of players have raised and cold-called (as well as your own table image). Against total donkeys, there might just be an argument for a cold-call, or even a re-raise, in this situation.

However, without any specific information on my opponents, I'd dump AT (suited or not) in this situation almost without thinking. I'd also tend to dump AJo too, setting my cold-call or re-raise threshold at AJs and better. As others have pointed out, ATo is very easily dominated and has no real straight or flush value.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:56 PM

You have very very little equity with ATo given the prior action in front of you. Fold.

Haupt_234