Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Donking into PFR...

One thing I almost never do is donk directly into a PFR on the flop. If I have a hand I want to continue with on the flop, I'll almost always check call or check raise. I vaguely remember a post a while back that indicated 2+2ers don't donk into a raised pot often enough.

Here's a hand where I did donk into a PFR. I'm looking for thoughts on this hand and on donking flops in general. When do you prefer to do it? When do you prefer a check raise etc.?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6.5SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>

Edit: no read on villain in the hand.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Donking into PFR...

Donking flops usually don't go well with the phrase "Edit: no read on villain in the hand"

You are donking a flop for 1 of four reasons:
A) You have the best hand and your opponent will raise a worse hand (because he is agressive and wants knock out the button or just becuase he was the preflop raiser and you're not respecting his authority).. knocking out the button and protecting your hand while putting in chips when you have the best of it.
B) You have the best hand and are scared that villain won't cb, allowing for chr (bad in this spot because you have a very vulnerable hand and don't really want a huge pot)
C) The flop is scary and you think you might get the best hand to fold, such as a headsup blind steal situation on an ace flop.
D) You flopped a monster and you are pretty sure your opponent will raise, allowing you to get 3 bets in on the flop.

This hand is more of the A situation, so I UTG should be pretty agressive with his overcards, drawing hands, smallish pairs (albeit none that dont have a huge draw or set on this flop). However, I don't think the pot is big enough that UTG will raise with overs here. Yeah, Id just stick with the standard ch/r.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM

I rarely donk flops. I almost always check-raise flops. I do this with weak hands and strong hands and I feel it gets me paid off more often.

I will consider donking when villian is very passive, villian is to my left, aggressive and may help me shut out the rest of the field or when or when there was no raise before the flop and I am in one of the blinds.

I do donk-bet alot of turns when I feel like villian is likely to check behind for a free card.

In this hand I would check-raise every time unless I knew villian to be very passive.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:06 PM

I think he would have bet it, but you have the right idea here.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:56 PM

i generally only like donking when I want to bet/3-bet, so ya I like it here.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:26 PM

This is the type of situation that I have started donking. You have a likely best hand that is very vulnerable. PFR is on your left, so hopefully you will get a raise from him to clear the field or you will take it down right here.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do we want to bet/3bet here?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do we want to bet/3bet here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't planning on it.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:28 PM

I'm a fan of this donk. I've recently incorporated this play in my game and I think it's good. You can't always check-raise when you have a hand.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 PM

"I think he would have bet it"

this is all that matters. you dont want to get raised (if you wanted to get raised you would bet/3-bet). he's going to bet 100% of his hands here, and since you only want to be called, you can get the same "action" on the flop by check calling. if you're betting for information (to make a fold later), i'm curious when you think you're going to lay down this hand if raised on the flop.