Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 11:19 AM

Default EV quiz (NLCASH)

I posted this in another forum but i'll post it here as well .

Suppose you're playing in a $1-2 heads up cash game and you hold 2c2d and villian holds AcKd . If you're in the small blind and that villian has you covered , how much do you have to bet so that it's a mistake for villian to call ?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: EV quiz

As this question is primarily about implied and effective odds, its unanswerable without knowing the stack sizes of the two players. Any all-in bet preflop by the player holding the 22 is obviously okay as he is the hot-and-cold favourite. If there is more money tot be bet, the 22 hand will be very difficult to play postflop, except when he flops a set.

It's kinda like the question in a deepstack game about two players each having $1,000 in a 5-10 Nl game and a player w AA raises to 35$ and the player holding 22 knows his opponents cards. Who is in a profitable situation here? Obviously the 22-guy. Goldmund
Old 11-21-2006, 11:41 AM

There is an answer to this and all that you need to know is that villian has you covered . There is a cut-off point where it becomes incorrect for this player to call you .
Old 11-21-2006, 11:52 AM

x > 49
Old 11-21-2006, 11:57 AM

I dont think there is a clearcut cutoffpoint. You seem to imply this is a pure odds-and-probabilities-problem, whilst it isnt IMO. The correct answer I think will depend largely (assuming a NL game) on how much either player will lose/win given a a favourable or unfavourable flop.

Will the AK guy lose his stack if there is a flop A92 rainbow? Will the 22-guy call a bet on a flop JcTc5c or Qh9d7s? Will the AK-guy call a bet, semibluffraise or fold to a bet by 22-man on a flop QcTc6d? See what I am trying to say? Goldmund.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:01 PM

I never said you have to see a flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Think about what you would bet pre-flop so that he shouldn't call you .
Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said you have to see a flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Think about what you would bet pre-flop so that he shouldn't call you .

[/ QUOTE ]

I answered that in my first reply: any all-in bet is fine. AK-man will be correct in calling if his pot odds are better than 48/100. The hanger basically being that both players know each others hands. If not: the inquiry makes no sense Jay :-) Goldmund
Old 11-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Ignoring implied odds... we'll HERO is all in.

Also, 22 v AK is a 52:48 situation or 13:12. You'll essentially need to push. Meaning the if the villian has to call 13:12 pot odds or better he is winning. So you need to give him worse odds. There is $3 in the pot currently (SB+BB) The math figures that if you bet 50 so he'll have to call 48 to win 52. So you need to bet more than 50 to make it wrong... assuming not more betting... so push with 2's against a certain AKo if you have more than 50 in your stack and you think your foe will call.

Since you'll never KNOW he has AK and not AA or KK... I highly suggest not betting 25x from the small blind.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... so push with 2's against a certain AKo if you have more than 50 in your stack and you think your foe will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

We basically give the same answer, but hero has to bet all-in no matter what his stacksize is. Villain should call getting better than 24 to 50. Goldmund
Old 11-21-2006, 04:15 PM

preflop?