Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 06:03 PM

Default who lives in chicago???

debating about moving there... can get transferred very easily and head back to school part time..

visited there several times and loved it...

pos and neg???
Old 11-20-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Re: who lives in chicago???

I live in the western subarbs. I love going to the city, great night life. During the day there are a lot of museums to vist, art institute, shedd aquarium, museum of science and industry, etc. Transportation is fairly easy to find. Oh and their pizza is the best anywhere....(I'm not biased [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

The only downside for me is the cost, everything is expensive. I have a friend renting a studio apartment 700 sq ft in a decent neighborhood and it is costing here 1k a month just for rent.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:26 PM

pos & neg in what respects?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:32 PM

I have lived in the city for about seven years. What do you want to know?

If you are young and single it is the best. It is expensive but, no worse than any other big city.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 PM

thanks, coming from ca its actually gonna be cheaper, go figure.... that is, compared to your suburbs..

if you want to live, say, as far as aurora or joliet or naperville, how bad is it to commute to the city??? pretty rough hah???

i have a good grasp of the poker scene, but, any recent changes, new boats, etc???

thanks again guys...
Old 11-20-2006, 08:13 PM

Holla. I live in the west end of Lincoln Park. PM me w/ any questions you might have.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:20 PM

Moved just west of the loop 5 months ago from the south burbs. One of the best decisions I've ever made; I love this city.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:21 PM

I live in Naperville. With no traffic it takes about 35 min. to get downtown. If there is a lot of traffic it will probably take 1 hour to 1.5 hours. There is also a train station that runs right through Naperville to Chicago and that takes about an hour because there are so many stops.

Also the downtown in Naperville is probably the best downtown of the area suburbs. Theres a good amount of bars and places to eat.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend renting a studio apartment 700 sq ft in a decent neighborhood and it is costing here 1k a month just for rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should only really happen in the Gold Coast or Streeterville. Anywhere else and your friend is probably getting ripped off.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:50 PM

certain parts of LP can get over $1k for a stuido...

if you want to partake in the nightlife of the city, i would STRONGLY suggest living in the city (especially if young/single). if you're only coming down to work & occassionaly see a show or for a nice meal, the commute from the burbs isn't THAT bad. i commuted my first few years after college from the western burbs (downers grove), and although an express train is only a 28 min trip, i couldn't wait to move downtown. it sucks to go to happy hour & have to worry about being tied to a train schedule or having to cut the night short in order to catch your train (and then having to wait an extra hour because you missed it by 3 min...)

the downtown area of naperville is nice & probably one of the best of the burbs, as cardshark mentions. IMO, though, its probably not nearly as diverse or have the same urban feel as living in the city. but then again, i'm pretty biased...