Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 04:25 PM

Default Your Most Embarrassing Restaurant Moment(s)

if this has been done before it wasn't in the last 4 years in OOT. Idea was stolen from another forum which I believe to be filled with a generally older age group than OOT.

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/7019/searchrr5.jpg

Mine:

On my street there is this amazing little Thai restaurant (Bangkok Thai) just a stones throw from where we live. FFK and I (used to) frequent on random dinner occasions when we are too tired/hungover to cook or just in the mood for some great Thai cuisine. One random Wednesday back in May we called in an order for carryout. Twenty minutes later and very excited, we arrive to pick it up. Its pouring down rain so we drove and burst in the door to find the tiny (5' x 9') waiting area packed with people. We walked right into the middle of the very quiet quasi-circle (only space available)...standing room only (4 chairs against the window were already taken).

"OK, time to find the host/ess and inform them that we are here for our order", I think to myself. SOP, no? Well, it isn't long before I spot a 'thai-looking' man directly facing and looking at me with what I interpret as a 'what can I do for you facial expression'. Before realizing that he isn't wearing any distinguishing employee clothes, I look him in the eye and blurt out, "I'm here to pick up a take out order for <my last name>". He looks at me puzzled for a second and then replies, "I don't work here".

Embarrassment immediately sets in and everything and everyone in the room becomes a blur. Thump-thump... Thump-thump... Thump-thump -- I can here my heart beat. Are my eyes watering? I can't see anything. Does my girlfriend feel the water dripping from the palm of my hand holding hers?

5 minutes later (a second or two in reality) a big middle-aged man with a beard sitting with his blond haired wife just beside me, who apparently read the situation the fastest, bursts out with laughter. Senses return and I make an attempt to regain composure and utter as best of an apology as I can muster up at the time..."I'm very sorry". He nods and silence returns to the waiting area. It is 8 minutes later (after standing next to each other the whole time) the 'thai-looking' man and his buddy get their food and leave.

Needless to say we have never returned...
Old 11-20-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Your Most Embarrassing Restaurant Moment(s)

Jesus dude....you act like you desecrated the holy Thai restaurant by squatting over and [censored] on the floor. You made a mistake...no reason to freak out. You apologized. I don't see why you could never go back there. If it's as good as you say it is this is a bit extreme..no?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you could never go back there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-20-2006, 04:51 PM

Sam - it was embarrassing and maybe you meant to say "Jesus dude...you were a little too descriptive". No apologies necessary.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:52 PM

obviously, this wasn't me, but for the 3 people on the internet who haven't read this, it's pretty awesome.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:04 PM

AEKD,

"Needless to say we have never returned..."

I'm also confused by this.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AEKD,

"Needless to say we have never returned..."

[/ QUOTE ]

They lost his business for embarassing him so badly.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AEKD,

"Needless to say we have never returned...for fear of running into that same guy again waiting for food."

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe I'm the only one who feels that it was rude as hell to assume the only thai-looking guy in the waiting area worked at the thai restaurant?

immediately after the incident, the time spent standing beside the guy was awful. He was not happy about what happened and gave me the evil eye every time I looked in his direction.

for all the crap that I have taken in this thread, I will go in and eat there tonight..sit down style.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for all the crap that I have taken in this thread, I will go in and eat there tonight..sit down style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to not to do anything racist.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:15 PM

Shajen, CaptZ, Hopey - nice stories.

Shajen - sic

CaptZ - i hate kids (and feel they have no place) in nice restaurants

Hopey - old ppl are intolerant and bad tippers.