Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 05:21 AM

Default Very loose tables

I am currently in a 250bb downswing on one of the loosest site on the net. So I really am wondering if my play is adjusted enough to beat these tables. Average table vpip is around 60% on 5/10 and these guys call with crap preflop and play mostly passive postflop. They are the standard SSH bad players (at least that's what I think). But I still can't seem too win, and it's frustrating me and beating up my confidence.

I wonder if there are different strategies I should use. I raise on the button with my good hands and just fold the mediocre ones because I know I won't steal the blinds, so I really have to raise for value. All I do preflop is just raising for value or limping in after some callers to hit a nice flop with a drawing hand. Pretty standard 'strategy', seems good, but doesn't work yet.

When the flop comes they will sometimes fold to a cbet, mostly when the flop is uncoordinated with an A on board. So I try and cbet these flops. When the flop is too coordinated and I am OOP I usually just check, since there is no way I am betting for value or have any folding equity. Exception for my cbet is when I have position and a decent draw (2 overcards or better). In this case I cbet and take the freecard almost always.

All this still seems pretty standard.. What I'm basically asking for is some nice shorthanded articles on too loose tables, I really need to find out where and if my thinking is flawed. I hope there are some around.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Very loose tables

I play lower stakes than you do and am fairly new to short handed but since no one else has responded, I do have a suggestion for you. Check into session reviews they might help you find some leaks. They have been helpful to me as have several of the 2+2 books and of course the forum.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 AM

Post some hands. It's difficult to critique generalities. Consider dropping back to 3/6 if your confidence is shaken.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 PM

I know that it's impossible to critique generalities, it's not what I am asking for. I just described the situation I'm in at the moment and all I really want is some literature on the shorthanded 'really loose' tables strategy. So I can try to find some flaws in my thinking, if there are some.

I agree that I should post a bit more hands though!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:03 PM

HPFAP has a few pages on wild games.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am currently in a 250bb downswing on one of the loosest site on the net. So I really am wondering if my play is adjusted enough to beat these tables. Average table vpip is around 60% on 5/10 and these guys call with crap preflop and play mostly passive postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

what site is this?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:09 PM

If you are sitting at a table where everyone is 60/5 you should be salivating. You also need to adjust mentally to what is likely to happen. You will lose alot more top-pair hands than normal. You will win much bigger pots than average when you do win.

If there are some tighties on your table you have to make sure you have position on the loose players and can shut out the tight ones. Also - I wouldn't change the way I play as drastically as you have. I would still steal with any hand that has equity against two random hands (use pokerstove to determine this). I would value bet most pairs and my stronger draws and I would take free cards when I'm most likely behind but drawing to big hand. I would still raise first-in and raise weak limpers hoping to isolate.

Honestly the conditions you describe for a $5/$10 game are very profitable and hard to find so definitely post some hands.

YT
Old 11-20-2006, 01:10 PM

Lol... Bullitos plays on the same fish pond I do... its a secret. And your play was pretty good from what I remember today Bullitos, although theres alot more decent players than you think at that site, they are loose but are good postflop. Don't just CB at dry ace boards, if some of the thinking players are in the hand, you can occasional continuation bet the scary drawing boards as well.

Also, apparently the new fad is to raise alot (close to every time) with Kx suited, Qx suited, and Jx suited.. you don't have to worry about your kicker as much as you would at other sites.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:32 PM

hehe, when I saw your name in the reply, I knew who you are. I don't mean that site, although the play there is pretty loose, it's not near as loose as what I mean. But thnx for the replies everyone, I'll just keep paying attention and I'll try to post some hands!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:41 PM

Also, 250BB can easily just be variance. I play lower than you at tables that actually have the numbers you describe and I hit one 300BB+ downswing as well as several in the 200 region. I've also had insane 200BB rushes and steady gains. Your overall strategy sounds fine. I wouldn't give up so easily against the flop peelers though.