Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Does Vava benefit OOT ?
Yes 8 61.54%
No 0 0%
Maybe 1 7.69%
Who Cares ? 0 0%
I Love His Sexy British Accent and he's Good looking Also? 2 15.38%
Erm....WTF? Who's Vavavoom ? 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2006, 08:17 PM

Default Beer Before Liquor

Old 11-19-2006, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Beer Before Liquor

The carbonation makes you get drunk quicker, and it ends up being a great time.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:36 PM

The saying is a rule of thumb because if you've already been drinking beer all night chances are you going to overdo the liquor part until the night ends on the bathroom floor. Chances are if you've been taking shots and start drinking beer you won't be as apt to chug beer and will not suffer the consequences as bad. You're gonna have a hangover either way though.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The saying is a rule of thumb because if you've already been drinking beer all night chances are you going to overdo the liquor part until the night ends on the bathroom floor. Chances are if you've been taking shots and start drinking beer you won't be as apt to chug beer and will not suffer the consequences as bad. You're gonna have a hangover either way though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is similar to the false idea that mixing different types of liquor gets you sick. Alcohol is alcohol, doesn't matter whether it's brandy, vodka, rum, etc. If you're mixing lots of different types, more than likely you're drinking a lot, which is what's going to get you sick.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is similar to the false idea that mixing different types of liquor gets you sick. Alcohol is alcohol, doesn't matter whether it's brandy, vodka, rum, etc. If you're mixing lots of different types, more than likely you're drinking a lot, which is what's going to get you
sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with you. I am more likely to wake up with a brutal hangover if I drink two glasses of champagne, 1 glass of wine, 2 beers, 1 scotch, and one shot of tequila than if I drink 10 beers, which would be more alcohol.

Mixing definitely affects the hangover.

As to whether beer before liquor makes the difference, it might, although i'm not sure. For one thing, in this case, you're drinking the hard alcohol closer to when you go to bed, which means you won't sleep as well. This may have something to do with it.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:53 PM

Mixing isn't what causes the hangover. You just listed every drink that is horrible for a hangover because of how pure it is. Tequila is the worst liquor for a hangover, scotch is sorta bad, and wine is also really bad for a hangover.

If you change all the drinks you said to say....a screwdriver, a while russian, beer, and a rum and coke your hangover will not be near as bad.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:04 PM

Beer before liquor never been sicker
Liquor before beer have no fear

I always kind of went by this rule. Maybe it has only been a couple of bad occasions, but it seems like when I drink a bunch of beer then take shots I'm done for. If it's the other way around I usually feel fine for the entire night. Or maybe I'm just a big pussy.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:06 PM

i always heard "beer before whiskey, mighty risky, whiskey before beer, never fear."
Old 11-19-2006, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mixing isn't what causes the hangover. You just listed every drink that is horrible for a hangover because of how pure it is. Tequila is the worst liquor for a hangover, scotch is sorta bad, and wine is also really bad for a hangover.

If you change all the drinks you said to say....a screwdriver, a while russian, beer, and a rum and coke your hangover will not be near as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Alcohol isn't the only thing in a liquor that causes a hangover. Congeners are also very important to consider. Vodka has just about the least amount and some things like whiskey have a lot. I wonder, though, if particular congeners are shared by different liquors or if most different types of liquor have their own sets of congeners. If the latter is true, then mixing liquors could easily give you a worse hangover because there would be a greater variety of congeners. I really have no idea, though.

Edit: Though, according to wiki, it seems debatable.

wiki quote: In the alcoholic beverage industry, congener refers to impurities produced during fermentation. Congeners are responsible for most of the taste, aroma and color of alcoholic beverages. It has been suggested that these substances also contribute to the symptoms of a hangover, although the more likely cause is ethanal.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beer before liquor never been sicker
Liquor before beer, you're in the clear

[/ QUOTE ]