Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 01:14 PM

Default 5 NL flopping a straight on the flop

No reads, just sat down on this table. I was in a tilty mode, just having moved down because of some beats. I didn't fold, but now I think I should have. Your opinions?

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.02/$0.04
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $8.91
UTG+1: $11.41
MP1: $1.96
MP2: $2.62
Hero: $4.84
CO: $5
Button: $2.84
SB: $3.26
BB: $2.40

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB calls, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.28, 7 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $0.04</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.3</font>, CO calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $2.45</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ??
Old 11-18-2006, 01:46 PM

Default Re: 5 NL flopping a straight on the flop

If your hand is good on the flop you have alot of cards still to dodge with 2 streets still to come.

Plus you have the sucker end of the straight. Your losing to KQ and any heart has a redraw to beat you. I may just call the flop and see what happens on the turn. With a safe turn I may try to thin the field.

Not sure if that is correct way to play this one so I will look forward to what others have to say.

Just noticed with 7 players on this flop you know the flush hit. Probably 74s or some other type of suited garbage common with this many fools seeing the flop.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:51 PM

I'm folding this. I very much like your feeler raise on the flop, but UTG's 3-bet suggests you're beat.

Oh, and a flat call for half your stack here would be horrible. If you think you have the best hand, shove. Otherwise, fold. I mean, there's no card that can help you, only ones that hurt you or kill your action.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:05 PM

Push.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:14 PM

clear fold. He may have a higher straight (2 ways to do so), a flush or a top draw that gives him 50-50... theres no way you have him crush here...
Old 11-18-2006, 02:30 PM

Against 7 players i guarantee you someone has a flush and/or higher straight. You are good here much less than 1/2 the time, and when you are good, you won't be by the time the river shows her ugly head half the time.

clearly a fold..I like your reraise on the flop too, but his minimum bet now looks like he was trying to drag you in. time to cut and run.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:18 PM

Thanks guys. I shoved this, and I regret it. He had KhQs, for the higher straight and the second nut flush draw.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:54 PM

I think shoving it is ok. If you don't want to do that, then don't play speculative hands like these. You have to be willing to push it if you flop huge. Yea, it's unlucky if someone flops even bigger, but quite often you'll have two pair or a set paying you off.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:57 PM

you have to be kidding sir win a lot. Idiot end of a str8 on 3 flush board.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think shoving it is ok. If you don't want to do that, then don't play speculative hands like these. You have to be willing to push it if you flop huge. Yea, it's unlucky if someone flops even bigger, but quite often you'll have two pair or a set paying you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that our hero has flopped huge. If their is 2 hearts, I agree push all the way. 3 hearts and the combo draws with 1 heart are ahead of him. Thats also the reason why doyle does not play 89/9t connectors since you will flop the understr8 enough times and get you rear stacked.