Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 12:35 AM

Default bet or check?

good 40/80 game in AC. you have a solid image and people generally give you respect.

4 people limp, you limp on the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], the sb completes and the bb checks.

flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

it's checked to you, bet or check?

whatever you decide to do, offer pros and cons of your decision.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Re: bet or check?

Given your image, number of players, such a draw heavy board and being last to act, I can't imagine not betting.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:23 AM

Your hand is too vulnerable to do anything other than bet. I just imagine all the broadway cards in my opponents hands and think about their combined outs. The pot is still pretty small so many of these hands will just muck.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:27 AM

This is actually an interesting question. I actually probably check it on such a draw heavy board with a lot of players in the hand. A bet will not get anybody out, this is likely to have connected with several players.

Now on the turn, depending on the action and the player, I might actually raise. If a blank pops (red 2, etc.) and a blind bets out, if it's folded to me I raise it and get a free showdown or possibly bet the river for value.

Obviously if it goes bet -> raise on the turn, I fold unimproved.

Let these slowplaying retards give you a runner-runner for your nut flush against their straight/set/2-pair/J.

RayT
Old 11-18-2006, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine not betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my initial thought as well. but after talking it over with jeffage for a while, he convinced me it's not as clear cut as it seems... I'll let him explain his thoughts on it
Old 11-18-2006, 07:26 AM

I would check. Too many draws there who would call you for 1 more bet.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is too vulnerable to do anything other than bet. I just imagine all the broadway cards in my opponents hands and think about their combined outs. The pot is still pretty small so many of these hands will just muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though your image is solid people will still look out their draws. What made you think they'll fold their draws to your bet? I'm not surprised if 1 or 2 folds but I'm also not surprised if the rest calls their draw. J87 isn't the scariest flop but it's still connected, and its flush draw too.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine not betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my initial thought as well. but after talking it over with jeffage for a while, he convinced me it's not as clear cut as it seems... I'll let him explain his thoughts on it

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand yours and everyone's thinking but there are a few issues. 1) you described the game as good. Most likely meaning people are playing too many hands and then playing them poorly. So, there are many cards on the turn that might appear to be blanks but are in fact very dangerous cards. A 6/5/4 May give someone a terrible straight, or a 2 may give utg trip two's. You never know in a game where people are playing too many hands. Also, if the game is good people probably don't understand pot odds optimally and why not bet and allow them to fold their naked 9/10's. Not to mention the KQ/AQ/A10/7x's that they may be holding.

This one's going to take some convincing for me at least.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:51 PM

why not just ask this question in the other thread

anyway, i would bet
Old 11-18-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why not just ask this question in the other thread

anyway, i would bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice pickup.

BTW Mr Pink, Why not raise the turn? Jeffage doesn't CR a flush draw shutting out the field so you have him in bad shape.