Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 PM

Default ($5PS) Call this push with AK unimproved?

Background: SB is the only other winning player at the table, but he plays a lot of HU and 6-max turbos. $5 is not his usual stakes - more like $20 - $50. Less than 200 games total.

Image/Reads: I've been open pushing just about half of the hands where the big stack wasn't in a blind, and had been doing so since 50/100 blinds when we went 5 handed. Since other players had been taking down blinds with 3BB or 4 BB raises, I tried to get fancy twice before with a "standard" raise, each time called by villain. One whiff-flop-c/f and one fold to his open flop push. Villain isn't terribly shy about pushing post flop against other players as well, but hadn't been called yet.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t2140)
BB (t5155)
UTG (t1215)
Hero (t2075)
Button (t2915)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t375, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1050) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t1690 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1625 (All-In).

Final Pot: t4365

I called, and at the time I thought it was correct, but now I'm not quite so sure. Villain has the widest of ranges here but I haven't seen a hand to properly judge his pure bluff %. I would have pushed if he checked to me, FWIW.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:55 PM

Default Re: ($5PS) Call this push with AK unimproved?

Heavily read dependent. Based on your read, the call looks fine. However, your read seems set up to make the call look fine, so I'm not sure if it's completely accurate.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:17 AM

Default Re: ($5PS) Call this push with AK unimproved?

I don't really like it. If he never bluffs (always has any pair+) here you're in horrible shape and going to lose 80% of the time. Not getting ITM 80% of the time is bad.

Even if you add in quite a few bluffs it still only swings your win % up to around 35%. Not getting ITM 65% of the time is also bad.