Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 05:27 PM

Default $ 27 88 with poker_in_pb push. What do you think?

Poker_in_pb is probably the most active player at the $27s. He's making this move very often, and the times I've seen him make it, it's always with AK. Another move he makes is limp/push with AK early (when there are raisers behind). I know, put your opponents on ranges, not specific hands, blah, blah...This read is one of the most accurate I can make, I have a lot of situations whre he's playing exactly like this.

I know there isn't that much meta games considerations in the $27s, but we have played a lot of games together, and he should notice this call if he's paying attention. Regarding these thoughts, how bad is it to accept a flip this early?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1460)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1570)
MP3 (t1570)
Hero (t1470)
Button (t1450)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t40</font>, UTG+1 calls t40, MP1 calls t40, MP2 calls t40, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, Hero calls t40, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t1500 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, Hero calls t1430 (All-in)
Old 11-17-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: $ 27 88 with poker_in_pb push. What do you think?

If I was at a table with a bunch of decent multi-tablers I might take the edge early and try and double now.
If it's full of unknowns or donks I'd fold.

Level 1 I've never seen this be anything but AK.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:39 PM

i think we decided that poker-in-pb's robot code has designed him to push with only AK here, so it depends whether you want to take the overlay and gamb0000l.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:42 PM

i guess it just depends if you're ready for a flip. i'd let it go; overpair and flips seems too reasonable here. if you actually possess some skill at SNGs, there's no real need to edge it this early.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess it just depends if you're ready for a flip. i'd let it go; overpair and flips seems too reasonable here. if you actually possess some skill at SNGs, there's no real need to edge it this early.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in my first post, I'm pretty sure this is a flip, as he's making this move with AK very, very often, and I've never seen him make it with a PP
Old 11-17-2006, 05:53 PM

even if he only does this w/ AK im not sure i'd call, and maybe if we extended his range to 22-99 it would be closer but probably not close enough. Im just thinking if we do this every time, were going to lose half the sitngos we play right off the bat, but i suppose it'd be nice to knock a regular out early to make the bubble a little easier but still not something i would jump into
Old 11-17-2006, 05:57 PM

Call and make a note of this.

You need an extremely specific read to do this, and I think you've got that read.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:00 PM

I ran the numbers at 10/20 against his push with AK and it is minisculely +EV if you are the only limper and he pushes from the blinds and you hold 99. My guess is this is a good bit better and I love spite calling to I'd probably call him especially considering all the dead money. But this will not change his range in the future. He will still push AK every time.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was at a table with a bunch of decent multi-tablers I might take the edge early and try and double now.
If it's full of unknowns or donks I'd fold.

Level 1 I've never seen this be anything but AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2006, 08:51 PM

You're close with him on those reads, however, he will push JJ+ in this spot as well as AK. Your're other reads on him are spot on except that he pushes his big hands with raisers and callers. If he was UTG and limped and then came back around for a push it's AK 100% of the time.