Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 01:43 PM

Default ($16t) Two Middle Pairs in the middle of a SNG

No reads...

Hand 1 - We have 30bb and the blinds go up in 3 minutes. What are you doing in this spot?

Hand 2 - We have 19bb and blinds are going up in 2 minutes. What would you do in this spot?

Please explain your reasoning.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1930)
UTG+1 (t1625)
MP1 (t2210)
CO (t3620)
Button (t1140)
Hero (t1560)
BB (t1415)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Button raises to t150</font>, Hero ???

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1614)
UTG+1 (t2501)
MP1 (t1750)
CO (t2055)
Button (t2385)
SB (t1285)
Hero (t1910)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to t200</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero ???
Old 11-17-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: ($16t) Two Middle Pairs in the middle of a SNG

hand 1: I would be more inclined to reraise AI or just call and play a flop

hand 2: I would call and play a flop.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1: I would be more inclined to reraise AI or just call and play a flop

hand 2: I would call and play a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of flop are you looking for with these hands? You are going to flop a set 11% of the time, and an over pair less than 20% of the time (anyone know the exact % the flop will come 8 high?). You will be folding every other time? This doesn't sound profitable to me...or maybe I am missing something.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:23 PM

Hand 1 I like a shove over a button raise

Hand 2 I just call.
[ QUOTE ]

What kind of flop are you looking for with these hands? You are going to flop a set 11% of the time, and an over pair less than 20% of the time (anyone know the exact % the flop will come 8 high?). You will be folding every other time? This doesn't sound profitable to me...or maybe I am missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]
In hand 2 you're missing that you're in the Big blind getting 3.5-1, and have the implied odds necesssary for solely set value.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 I like a shove over a button raise

Hand 2 I just call.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In hand 2 you're missing that you're in the Big blind getting 3.5-1, and have the implied odds necesssary for solely set value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on hand 2. However I like folding the 99's. I am pushing TT+, AK in this spot. I don't like calling or pushing in this spot. I am not looking to call for 10% of my stack in a set or no set situation. I will be folding on the flop 89% of the time. IMO we are not desperate enough to race into a probable coin flip situation. My play is to fold this hand and wait for a better spot to push all of my chips in. I love push bot poker...lol.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:42 PM

Hand 1 Shove it
Hand 2 call

However if you fold both it's not like I'm going to call you a little girl or anything...
Old 11-17-2006, 03:42 PM

It's really hard to answer either of these with no reads at all. Reads are so important....I don't know why nobody ever seems to have any.

The first one I might push just b/c I would think CO is probably opening a fairly wide range of hands from LP and I'm ahead of most hands he's raising with. I'm probably not flat calling because I'm not really getting odds for to play for a set and even a good flop (2 or 3 undercards, or a paired board, etc)might be expensive to find out if I'm ahead or not. So I'd likely push or fold. But with no reads at all....I guess push.

The eights I'd probably call since you're in the BB and it's only 100. But I expect I am behind preflop and I'm really only playing to hit a set. No set, no bet most likely.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:48 PM

Hand 1 I shove since it's a button raise. Hand 2 I'd call. If I don't flop a set I'm usually folding. I think you are getting good enough odds since you're in the BB.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:57 PM

Shove hand 1 to button raise. FE is huge

Hand 2 is read dependent. These min raises piss me off--in my game they usually mean q-10 through k-j and I might push because my FE is huge. If we call are we really folding any flop without a set?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we call are we really folding any flop without a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP said he had no read at all. So with no read at all, yes, I would likely fold almost anything that's no set. Unless villian checks flop or his flop bet screams weakness to me, I likely wouldn't challenge him much for it....because frankly I think I'm behind pf, so I'm not really looking to force him to lay down a better hand here.