Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 11:56 PM

Default \"Where are you now\" Micros thread

I don't post much around here anymore, as I was sucked into the time vaccuum that is OOT long ago. So, I haven't quite kept up with this forum, and who's doing what, in quite some time.

I'm most interested in hearing from the guys who were posting here about a year ago, back when I was still interested in learning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and toiling away in .50/1. Guys like zuluking, btspider, davelin, jaran, entity, aaron w, bottomset, droolie, tiltaholic, and any of the many others I'm sure I left out. (of course, nobody is excluded from this post). What games are you guys playing now? are you guys striving to move up, or are you content where you are?

I'll start off:

I'm still addicted to bonus whoring, and as such spend most of my time between 2/4 and 3/6. I sometimes play higher, but not usually. I have a roll for much bigger games, but am content with a good hourly earn with small variance in the small stakes. I'm preparing for some major life purchases that will deplete almost all my bankroll (and make me a happy man), and as such am pretty risk averse.

You?
Old 08-30-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: \"Where are you now\" Micros thread

A year ago I played alot of 0.50/1 and did bonuses. Right now I am playing 10/20 6m and will be a "pro" in two weeks - ie: I won't have a job and we'll see how much I play.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-30-2005, 12:26 AM

One year ago I was not playing poker since I was studying intently for my PhD qualifying comprehensive exams. I had left off at .25/.5. When I passed them in September I got a monitor so I could 4 table and started playing .5/1. Bonus whoring really builds up the old roll [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I still posted some a year ago (not all that much though).

I don't play all that much, but right now I'm at 2/4. My dissertation comes first, looking for a job second. I like to think and learn about the game a lot, and post frequently in my spare time though. Mat eventually made me mod.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:27 AM

A year ago I was bouncing around .5/1, probably mixing in .25/.5.

I'm currently lagging it up with DeathDonkey at 10/20 and hope to be playing 20/40 or 40/80 live next time I'm in Vegas.

Rob
Old 08-30-2005, 12:30 AM

Uh, I hate you guys.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:49 AM

They also play 15k+ hands/month. I'm lucky to get in 10k.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 AM

A year ago I was midway through my 1/2 foray. About the beginning of December, I had moved up to 2/4. Then I went to Italy for a semester abroad (one of the best times of my life) and pulled out my entire br to help finance the trip (and well worth it). When I returned, I took my remaining vip points and bought in for $50 on empire. I quickly built that up to about $200 in two weeks. Unfortunately, I was unable to find summer employment, and spent the entire summer withdrawing money to pay bills. So, I'm right back where I started, at .5/1.

-Jaran

PS-I now have a job!
Old 08-30-2005, 01:51 AM

a year ago, I was playing 11sngs, terrible, and had busted out my orig deposits twice

now I'm playing 3/6 6max, struggling but hopefully fighting through it
Old 08-30-2005, 02:53 AM

Let's see...

Fall 2001 - I jump into the world of online poker after playing some $2/4 at Foxwoods (sneaking away overnight from a summer math camp with another counselor... it was a weekend... and I let one of the other counselors know in case anything happened). I start playing $.50/1 (the cheapest stakes at the time... maybe a year before the poker explosion). The poker playing is very irregular as I go through my Senior year of college.

Summer/Fall 2002 - As I prepare to move to grad school, I decide to pick up poker again as a "regular" hobby. But with all of the necessary adjustments, such as moving to a new city and figuring out the new academic thing, and a dial-up connection on a single phone line apartment, I don't get to play very often.

Spring/Summer 2003 - Time ticks on, I settle in, I move, I settle in again, get high speed internet, and finally start to get some playing time.

Fall 2004 - After 10k hands at $.50/1 (finally!), I move up to $1/2 full.

Summer 2005 - Another 10k hands and I've cleared $1/2 full with a confident game and slide into $1/2 shorthanded.

Fall 2005 - I'm about to add a Party Poker account and start playing some 7-stud H/L8 along with more Hold'em. I'll probably jump into $1/2 (stud) because of the betting structure ($.50/1 has $.25 antes!). I might also step out of SH to tackle the beginner tables. I think I've played some 4k hands at $1/2 SH in the last couple months, but I'm visiting family right now and can't check those records. I expect this will slow down my advancement in hold'em because I don't intend to play any more often than I am right now, but I'm interested in learning something new. (Oh yeah... I'm starting year 4 of graduate studies... and on starting a new academic year, see below...)

For those who have been around a while, you might be surprised at the stretch of 10k hands in about 9 months (even though I've alluded to it many times [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]). I'm in no hurry. I've got time on my side (and if I don't, then the little time I have remaining is much better spent doing things other than playing poker).

On starting a new academic year...
[A 25-year old's soapbox]My hope for the college-aged players is that you guys develop a well prioritized life that isn't poker-centric. Don't get me wrong; poker is great fun. But don't spend all of your free time 4-tabling to move up in levels faster. You're going to regret it.[/soapbox]
Old 08-30-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They also play 15k+ hands/month. I'm lucky to get in 10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only played 10k hands in a month once. I normally play between 4k and 8K. but, all of it is while bonus whoring, which provides a subtanstial cushion for downswings(this has been my first losing month ever).