Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 12:18 PM

Default 5/10: Flopping top pair oop against TAG.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Short read on villain, but he screams TAG. Been very aggressive to this point.

I think my line was not very good.

Which option is better:

-lead the flop
-check-raise the flop
-lead the turn

Thoughts? Range for villain?

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (2.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...
Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Re: 5/10: Flopping top pair oop against TAG.

If you had a read villain will bet the flop then check/raising the flop is fine, now that you didn't I lead. Given your check a raise is a must on the flop. Man, you really played this hand weird...
Old 11-16-2006, 12:27 PM

I would lead the flop. Don't know if it's better or not, you are probably a better player than me. But there's 2 diamonds, 67, and no reason to be sure anyone will bet. The pot is so small that small draws aren't getting odds for 1 bet either, so you don't really need to get fancy with a c/r to eliminate UTG.

(ot: how's 5/10 on stars btw? I was thinking of trying it.)
Old 11-16-2006, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, you really played this hand poorly ...

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 11-16-2006, 12:45 PM

First to act I would c/r that flop but leading out is good too...because you say villian is very aggressive I expect him to bet when two people check in front of him on this board. C/r flop and lead turn is how I would play this hand.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:03 PM

Bet the flop.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:25 PM

the key for me is the size of the pot. you want to do what will cause people to make the largest mistake. in a big pot they generally make the biggest mistakes by folding when they shouldn't , in a small pot they generally make the biggest mistakes by calling when they shouldn't. just bet, i think. c/r is a reasonable second in this spot. c/c, well, it is what it is. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] with good reads there are certain merits to c/c, c/r but given what we know(or don't know, i should say)i don't think i like it. also, villains range would be pp's, suited connectors, suited aces; stuff like that.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM

i just read an article on ed millers website. it was a hand like this and he said to bet on the turn. i think checkraise is dumb what if you get 3bet? article is on the front page now if you want to look.

and why did you check flop here? i think it makes sense. check chekc check sucks dude.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the key for me is the size of the pot. you want to do what will cause people to make the largest mistake. in a big pot they generally make the biggest mistakes by folding when they shouldn't , in a small pot they generally make the biggest mistakes by calling when they shouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason I felt my line was not good was <font color="blue">size of the pot</font>. I have been falling into a trap lately of winning small pots while losing big pots. You get toward the end of a 200 hand session and wonder why you are down 10 BB because it *feels* like you should be ahead. No fun at all.

I know this is directly related to moving from 3/6 to 5/10 and playing scared. Not afraid of the money, but afraid of the other players being better than me. I am taking myself out of my own game for stretches and it is killing me. Of course there are many more close decisions/heads up decisions in 5/10 than in 3/6, which I was beating for over 1BB/100 while half asleep.

I have been considering writing a lengthy post about my situation(moving up). I feel it would pay back a little of what I have taken from this forum. Anybody interested?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:45 PM

i'm about to move up to $5/$10 on stars.. tried it a couple of times, but like yourself was playing 'scared' of the competition rather than the money. so, i'd be interested in your post about it...

gl