Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Engagement Ring

I know that we've had threads about "Can you negotiate the price of XYZ" before, but I don't think this was covered to the extent that I'm interested in.

If you go to a standard jewelry store (Tiffany's, Zales, Jared, whatever else) and buy an engagement ring, is it acceptable to negotiate the price? Or would they give me a funny look and say, "Um, you can't do that here" ?

Secondly, if yes, about how much can I expect to negotiate down? 10%? 20%?

Thanks,
bigbootch
Old 11-16-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Engagement Ring

search function... there was a thread on stuff you didn't think was negotiable, but is. and there've been a bunch of threads on engagement rings too, widen the date range if need be.

edit: but short answer, yeah, you can negotiate a fair bit if you're determined.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:21 AM

Yes, dont know how much. My mother - in - law negotiated the price of our mattress at SitnSleep, she negotiates at Nortstrom too. I dont know how much, but it takes a certain type of person.

Good Luck, and I probably would not brag about that to future wife btw.

tobdog
Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 AM

I got 8% off a ring at Cartier in New York. Probably could've done a lot better - I was just like "Do you think you can provide any discount from the list price?"

Bottom line is, if you can negotiate a jewelry purchase at a place like Cartier, you can feel good about trying it anywhere.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:35 AM

Blue Nile or Good Old Gold.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got 8% off a ring at Cartier in New York. Probably could've done a lot better - I was just like "Do you think you can provide any discount from the list price?"

Bottom line is, if you can negotiate a jewelry purchase at a place like Cartier, you can feel good about trying it anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Now I can go to whatever store and use your line about the discount and not feel stupid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:51 AM

Try a tack like this. Pick a ring you like and tell them you will take it on the spot for 25% off. See what they come back with. Consider it for a bit and then tell them you really like the ring but you want to look around for a bit see if you can get a better deal. Ask again if they can do any better. If not then leave.

You may want to pick a couple of places you dont really want to buy from first to get a feel for what you can get away with and how low they will go before you go in for the kill. Try 40% somewhere. Be bold.

And If like me you know nothing about jewelry I would get the ring appraised to make sure you are getting what you bargained for.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 PM

Sort of off topic but I felt it's worth mentioning...

Are you taking your gf with you to shop for rings? If not I would recommend doing so. My now fiancee agreed that any loss in "surprise factor" was more than made up for by getting exactly what she wanted in a ring.

This also has the added advantage of being able to hang on to the ring for a few weeks or months and get treated better than you ever have before (and probably ever will) as she's in constant anticipation of the proposal.

I only held out for a few weeks but definitely you should hold out longer and milk it for all it's worth.

KoW
Old 11-16-2006, 12:35 PM

ok, semi-hijack, but when people say the prices at places like nordstrom are negotiable, how the f is that done? do you just pick up your jeans, walk up to the counter, and go "i like these but i want to pay $10 less"?

also, jewelry is like the most haggeled over commodity in the universe, wtf. duh.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 PM

-How flexible are you this price?

-What's the best you can do?

The sales people will negogiate if they think you're serious. If you're just milling around, they won't give you a reasonable price as they know you're just wasting time and theirs.

If you walk in and say "I want a 1K, x Color, x Cut, what do you have?" then they know you're at least serious and can get down to business.