Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 09:03 PM

Default I can\'t play more than 20-25 hours a week.

I just can't seem to do it. I play professionally and make a few hundred an hour (6-10 tables). After 4 hours or so I'm usually stressed out enough that I need to quit or I start playing terribly. If I play 8 hours days for a few days in a row I end up playing like [censored] on day 3 or 4.

Anyone got any good tips on how to relax and focus? When I was at university I was able to pull all nighters+study for 12 hours straight pretty easily.

How do guys like EM2, CTS and grim do it? I doubt I'd even be a winning player if I put in 40-50 hours a week.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:43 PM

Default Re: I can\'t play more than 20-25 hours a week.

have you tried playing multiple shorter sessions in a day, say 2 3 hour sessions? if you do that 5 days a week you are already at 30 hrs.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 PM

Interesting. I'm the same. I play "profesionally" and play 3.5 hours per day. If I play significantly more, so far I have become miserable and stressed out.´In my case I think a better social life would help me cope with playing more. But I can't see myself doing more than let's say 6 hours. I hope you get good advice.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:45 PM

Maybe if you play less tables, take breaks, and/or go play live sometimes. Live play is obviously much slower and thus, can be less profitable. However, you don't see just avatars and freaky names, you see real people, which makes the game more social and enjoyable. For me, at least.

You have the whole show one card to the table, play with your chips, buy drinks, joke about stuff thing going on.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:02 AM

take frequent breaks. Stand up, walk around, stretch, get some protein, work out a little bit, stay hydrated...try to stay active instead of staring at the screen. Also an LCD screen might help you reyes. What stakes to you play and is it limit or nl?

Who is the gorgeous asian?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:56 PM

Geezus Dude, if it's really true that you are making "a couple hundred an hour", then at 25 hours per week, you are a making $5000 a week, $20K per month, $240K per year.

STFU and stop whining about "only" being able to play 25 hours per week.

Honestly, the BS on this site floors me.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:32 AM

I think I could but it would be a real grind. My soultion has been to play 4 hours a day but everyday. This way it's always short sessions but still enough hours a week, 28 (+ plenty more hours reading/thinking etc... ).

I always make a half-hour break as well, play 2 + 2 hours. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

regards,

dardo
Old 11-18-2006, 06:03 AM

Caffeine/Adderall/ephedrine are useful to push yourself to do more provided you don't have an addictive personality and don't use them all the time. Also, try dropping down a limit or two and play 3-4 tables while watching TV, reading 2+2, or talking on the phone. This alone should let you put in another 10-20 bearable hours per week.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Geezus Dude, if it's really true that you are making "a couple hundred an hour", then at 25 hours per week, you are a making $5000 a week, $20K per month, $240K per year.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really doubt he is making a couple hundred and hour. Maybe at his best but I am sure it doesn't happen very often. If he did he wouldn't be complaining. He may be a winnning player overall but no way it is this high.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I really doubt he is making a couple hundred and hour. Maybe at his best but I am sure it doesn't happen very often. If he did he wouldn't be complaining. He may be a winnning player overall but no way it is this high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to add my two cents in defense of the original poster. I easily believe he makes that much, and I believe he wants to do even better. We all got to where we are today because we set goals for ourselves, we pushed ourselves, some of us to our limits. What kind of person are you if you are always settling for mediocrity?

I read this post because I wish I could find the stamina to play more than 20-25 hours a week myself. I will make over 1mil (yes, $1,000,000) a year playing only a few hours a day, call BS all you want. I'm a 10/20, 25/50, 50/100 NL player on FTP. I will always keep raising the bar on my goals and pushing my limits, if I didn't have that mentality, I'd still be back at 3/6 NL.

So, instead of writing destructive critism, why don't you say something value add to the topic.. I really would like to hear more techniques on increasing stamina, motivation (surprisingly it is hard to stay motivated after I win a $20,000 pot or so.. my mind tells me it's okay to quit playing for the day), etc.