Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 07:06 AM

Default VPIP and PFR %?

Hello i'm fairly new to PLO, i'm mainly NL holdem player. However, i want to learn this game, my biggest question is, what kind of VPIP and PFR for 6max PLO, is ideal?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: VPIP and PFR %?

help anyone?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello i'm fairly new to PLO, i'm mainly NL holdem player. However, i want to learn this game, my biggest question is, what kind of VPIP and PFR for 6max PLO, is ideal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't play 6-max, but overall I think it's hard to say what is "ideal" in omaha -- a lot of people are successful with different styles. In 8-9 handed games, my #'s are like 31/18, but some very good players play looser or tighter. Also, when stacks get very deep, against bad opponents my #'s go up to like 41/30 or higher.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:47 PM

This is a common question, and there is no one answer. Most here are probably sick of answering it.

Full ring, most of your money comes from your best 15% hands (i.e. well co-ordinated hands in position). Some people will play just these hands, fold everything else and show a nice profit. Many of the top players typically play in the neighbourhood of 35%, heavily biased towards LP. However, anything in this range is justifiable because Omaha has a large range of hands that can be played for near neutral EV.

Shorthanded implies that you should loosen these numbers up a bit, especially if you like to play tight (i.e. 15% VPIP full ring). But the "ideal" range is still pretty high (probably from around 20 to 40%).

As for PFR, too much depends on your opponent's stacks, how they react to pre-flop raises, and your position relative to the passives and maniacs to give you any specific numbers. Of course these apply in HE too, but everything is exaggerated in PLO.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:00 PM

I thought it should be a commonly asked question, however, I searched like 12 pages of this forum didn't see any topic like this, so thanks for answering

So far in 100 plo and 200plo i've played roughly 38 VPIP and 10% pfr can any 6 max player tell me if i'm raising too little, or give me their PT stats? I'd really appriciate it because i'd like to see what typical numbers are.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:36 PM

There was another a couple weeks ago, but I guess you missed it.

I'm not a 6-max player, but your numbers look fairly "typical" from what I've read around here. However, the acceptable range in PLO is pretty large so don't expect to get a diffinative answer.

I'll leave the PFR question to others since most of my play has been at tables where pre-flop raising is often almost pointless (because they end up doing most of the work for me).
Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 PM

Overall VPIP of a player doesn't tell me much thought their are common ranges. full ring i see good players from 25-35 and six max 25-45 or so.

The really telling thing, especially for full ring, is position stats IMO. Myself for example, I have an UTG vpip of 18 and a vpip on the button of 43 in full ring games. When I see this kind of respect for position especially in 9-handed games I generally assume someone has a clue.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The really telling thing, especially for full ring, is position stats IMO. Myself for example, I have an UTG vpip of 18 and a vpip on the button of 43 in full ring games. When I see this kind of respect for position especially in 9-handed games I generally assume someone has a clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case it wasn't clear, the above is what I meant by "Many of the top players typically play in the neighbourhood of 35%, heavily biased towards LP".
Old 11-15-2006, 06:13 PM

thanks i'll keep that in mind, another thing i was wondering about. What type of hands do you raise in FP or do you ever raise oop?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:51 AM

I play 53/31 and had been running at about a 20bb when I was playing Party 2000 plo, so it was working for me for about 20,000 hands, but this could have been just a nice heater while playing aggo.