Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Theory post: on reraising PF in the blinds

This is in response to this post : http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...e=0#Post8043786

Anyway on the content. Many of you probably wonder about reraising PF with high unsuited connectors against moderately to laggy PF raisers. Many limit players are accustomed to this play, but this play is not so clear cut in NL.

Here are some reasons why reraising with AT and AJ and KJ are considered speculative in NL with 100BB stacks.

- After your opp has called your reraise, there is a higher chance that your opp has you dominated. Now you are left OOP in an inflated pot with a dominated hand that might leave you with a tough decision at some point
- flop raise=3bb, reraise= 12 bb total flop pot= 25 BB , assuming you bet 20 bb on the flop and OPP calls, the pot has 65 BB on the turn and you have a pot sized bet left. Can you easily check/fold this turn? No. You might be drawing to as little as 3 outs on this river.
- by reraising PF, you are essentially playing a big pot with a one pair hand.

Many players often advise reraising PF with hands like 97s 86s, hands that cannot be played in big pots with one pair and that are often huge hands by the river if you stay in with them. Plus, if you happen to make a big hand with these hands, they are well-concealed. Plus, this widens your reraising range PF.

Against players who raise say 50-75% of hands in HU play in position, how would you go about creating a reraising group of hands.

What about hands like A2s, are these hands playable for a reraise PF.

SB vs BB any difference? Obv if you're in the BB and the SB calls a button raise, you have more of an incentive to reraise.

What about high suited connectors? QJs has the same flaws as QJ as it makes TP too often (seems odd huh) and you might be left on the turn with a TP hand. It might be weak enough to not reraising, but strong enough to be an easy call. OBv AKs can play a big pot and its strong enough to not be dominated on hte turn against other hands.

Thoughts? Advice?

-Joo
Old 11-15-2006, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Theory post: on reraising PF in the blinds

rofl High Stakes?? Why??
Old 11-15-2006, 04:49 AM

high stakes is the new small stakes
Old 11-15-2006, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rofl High Stakes?? Why??

[/ QUOTE ]

it's cause the high stakes players couldnt agree on this topic.

fine, move it to mid stakes then.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:16 AM

here's some advice for you JW, as soon as you get sniffed out for not being a HSNL'er, no one here will want to help you whether your post is good or not
Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
rofl High Stakes?? Why??

[/ QUOTE ]

it's cause the high stakes players couldnt agree on this topic.

fine, move it to micro stakes then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2006, 02:41 PM

Hi JooWish,

People may want to appear superior, but these are good questions. This is without question, then #1 thing I get asked about in coaching sessions. People want to know which hands they should reraise with, which ones they should defend their own open-raise with, how to deal with the players who reraise a very wide range, or all of the above.

I'm not going to make a detailed post about this question right now, because it would be LONG, and I'm not up to it. But, IMO, lots of players who think they have this down, have serious flaws in their thinking. One way to demonstrate this is to see the great success that a couple of 10/20 regulars from this board have had. Though they are basically mediocre or weak post-flop, they have this one wrinkle to their game: frequent pre-flop reraises. They beat the general public, which includes the middle of the road pros, pretty handily. But, when they play tough, flexible players shorthanded, they get their clocks cleaned, despite the fact that their hourly rate may be higher overall than the players who crush them. The fact that these players have thrived for so long indicates to me that many winning players don't know the answers to your questions above.

I'll just say this, for now. To know which hands to reraise with, and how to proceed post-flop, you should start by grouping your opponents into a few different categories: those who'll almost never call a reraise, those who'll call with most non-trash hands that they raised with, and those who mix it up, but may call or 4-bet with both ends of the spectrum. Then, you have to do some math. LOL maybe that's too cryptic, but that's it for now.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks for that cero
Old 11-15-2006, 04:56 PM

I just re-raise with any hand i think is better than what my opponent is raising. OR, if i feel like making a move on him, i'll RR with "NE2" and the intent of outplaying him postflop.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:15 PM

The higher up you move in poker, the less systematic your raises and reraises become. By high stakes I would suspect that the systematic aspect of preflop reraises is entirely gone, and it becomes purely opponent-read+situational dependent, if not lower.

But to answer your question(s) in the sort of general way in which you asked:

FTOP. You must constantly and always acheive an edge in reading your opponents hand while shrouding yours in mystery. Unattentive, low intelligence, poor players will handily take care of the latter on their own. Most other players will be actively fighting against you in both of those aims.

Will reraising pf with ATo against -this- opponent give me the optimal read on his hand (this hand)? On his play (future hands)? Will it optimally disguise my hand (this hand)? My future play?