Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 11:32 PM

Default WRX STI VS Lan Evo IX

I want to buy a new car soon, I want to pay around 35k (but im flexible), I want to drive it hard and fast and I live in Alaska with lots of snow.

The car I have now is fine but boring and somewhat slow (2001 saturn SL1), and I promised myself I would buy a new car if I hit poker goals this year which I have long since passed. I will be paying cash (literally if there's no reason not to). I have never bought a car before except my current ride, which was used from a friend so that doesnt count.

I have 4 main questions.

1) Are there any other cars I should seriously consider? I've thought about a G35 or 3 series bmw but I care less about luxury then I do about it being fun to drive.

2) STI or Evo? It seems more people on this forum have STIs, and I was slightly leaning towards it. After doing some more research (example) I am now unsure. I plan on test driving both but am interested in opinions.

3) a. Although I havent talked to the dealerships yet, on their sites they list the cars at 1-5k over msrp (1.5 for the STI, 5 for the evo). This is also weird because the respective dealers (the only ones in Alaska) list only 2 STIs but 12 EVOs. I understand that cars cost more in here, but 5k seems a bit much. How should I factor this in when bargaining for a price?
b. I want to simplify the "haggling" portion as much as possible. How reliable is the information from edmonds on invoice price and fair market value? How much over this should I ask? I dont want to spend a lot of time on this but anything else I should know?

4) In 10 days I am leaving for Enlgand, and will be there for 24 days. I really want to buy a car now, but the logical part of my is saying to wait. Please tell me now is a better time to buy a car than late December so I dont have to wait over a month to purchase one of these.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Re: WRX STI VS Lan Evo IX

[ QUOTE ]
1) Are there any other cars I should seriously consider? I've thought about a G35 or 3 series bmw but I care less about luxury then I do about it being fun to drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're looking for a fun, reliable, fast car, that you want to drive hard, you'll be thoroughly disappointed if you go with the Infinity or BMW. It's fact. Those cars are grossly underpowered compared to your AWD counterparts.

[ QUOTE ]
2) STI or Evo? It seems more people on this forum have STIs, and I was slightly leaning towards it. After doing some more research (example) I am now unsure. I plan on test driving both but am interested in opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Lancer is a better car. Not by much though. The 4G63 powerplant in the Evo is the best production 4-cylinder engine ever made. The engine had some problems with ''crankwalk'' in it's earlier years but that's since been eliminated. This engine literally bulletproof.

I don't know as much about the pancake blocked Subaru, but I do know it's a stout engine. I just don't think Subaru has as much experience turbo charging cars, and I give the edge to Mitsubishi.

A while back Top Gear did a side by side comparison of the Evo VIII and WRX STi, the Evo took home the 1st place prize.

I've test driven an '05 STi, and it was amazing. I haven't test driven an EVO yet, but from what I've heard, it's better. Now that the '07s are 6-speeds.

Final verdict: Go with the Evo MR if you can afford it. Which I think you can.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:05 AM

When it comes down to the difference between STi and EVO, it's going to come down to personal preference. You are not going to go wrong either way, and most STi or EVO drivers understand that the other is a very quality car.

I personally chose the STi, just because when it came to the US in 04, it's all I wanted, and I consdered it my "Achievable" dream car, and it's a LOT of fun.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:56 PM

If you want to Mod, get the Evo. If you want a car that's easier to live with, get the STi. You will never notice the performance differences unless you're on a track. You might also want to look at the STI Limited or the Legacy GT (or Spec B). Much much nicer on the inside and pretty much the same as far as "fun" goes.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to Mod, get the Evo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, maybe, probably not. Both cars are very mod-able. The DSM will have a larger aftermarket, but I suspect Subaru is closing the gap. Tons of great tuning shops for both.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want a car that's easier to live with, get the STi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand any of this. The 4G63 is probably a better engine than the EJ257 in the Subaru. The 4G63 is a tried and true powerplant. The Subaru motor is very good too. Don't get me wrong.

You can't go wrong with either car, I'm more partial to the EVO.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:06 AM

end of december would be a better time, if you are buying an 06 model year
Old 11-17-2006, 08:17 AM

ive had my sti for ~9 months. i love it. the police hate me though. holla
Old 11-17-2006, 11:17 PM

Get a quote for insurance before making your decision.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be high with either car.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be high with either car.

[/ QUOTE ]

mine was 4400 per 6 months, hence me not having insurance. holla