Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 04:38 PM

Default I hate 88 - how\'s my line here?

Prima Poker skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
9 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: $29.25
UTG+1: $10.50
Hero: $30.75
MP2: $27.00
MP3: $41.49
CO: $13.13
Button: $8.00
SB: $37.75
BB: $3.75

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 4 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5SB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: I hate 88 - how\'s my line here?

I think you played it fine. If he caps we're folding right there on the flop, right? And if he donks the turn or bets the river what's the plan?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:49 PM

This looks like the typical line of a villain who thinks you have overs and was trying to run you off the hand. I probably play it the same way.

If he caps, I probably call even though I don't have the odds just for table image. It looks real bad to fold here for 1 SB and invites people to make moves on you. Call the cap and fold to turn bet unimproved.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:53 PM

I may be wrong, but I look at this and think... whoaaa overaggressive on the flop. I have been playing a bit weak lately so... is it just me?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be wrong, but I look at this and think... whoaaa overaggressive on the flop. I have been playing a bit weak lately so... is it just me?

[/ QUOTE ]

think about it, if we don't 3bet the flop we're probably paying 2 more big bets to get to showdown. 3betting the flop with position saves a small bet when you check the river.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

think about it, if we don't 3bet the flop we're probably paying 2 more big bets to get to showdown. 3betting the flop with position saves a small bet when you check the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just generally don't 3-bet this lightly. I usually am wanting TPGK or better... or also a strong draw with a lot of callers. This is standard in this spot?

P.S.
I am having one of those couple months where I am realizing how much I REALLY don't know!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The two flip sides, of course, being:

1. if he's on overs or 2P/3PGK and you 3-bet he might fold, losing you the c-bets he might throw in on the big streets; and

2. you're disregarding the times you lose the SB you're "saving" by checking behind on the river when he caps the flop and you fold. (Actually, when you call the cap on the flop and fold the turn when you don't catch one of your 2 outs.)

As always, I'd like to have reads; without them I'm going to mix Hero's line with calldowns about 50/50, but I don't think it matters much from an EV perspective which way you go with it.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:20 PM

What does villain c/r this flop with? That would help.

Buzz
Old 11-14-2006, 05:41 PM

flush draw, OESD, overcards, overcards to middle card, top pair, middle pair, pocket pair, so pretty much everything :&gt;
Old 11-14-2006, 05:42 PM

I was afraid of most overcards here (rightly or wrongly). As a result I wouldnt' have been too fussed about villain folding. His stats here were 35.89/13.37/0.81/404.

I didn't post these originally because they confused me a little, his AF looks quite low but I've been watching the table and I've seen him be really aggressive on the flop with hands that surprised me at showdown.

If he'd capped the flop I would have folded, if he'd check/raised the turn I would have folded. If he'd donk bet the turn I'm not sure what I'd have done (probably folded). My flop play sort of feels too aggressive but it was a case of "this is as far as I'm going".