Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Ethernet Adapter won\'t/can\'t connect to modem

I read the FAQ! This HP Pressario (windows XP) is not connecting to my cable modem via a wired connection. I have another similar machine next to it that does connect. IPCONFIG yields no DNS Suffix, an Autoconfiguration IP address instead of an IP address and no Default gateway.

Windows reports that the 'Local area connection 2' has limited or no connectivity. I have uninstalled the VIA Rhine II fast ethernet adapter and watched windows re-install it upon startup but it still fails to grap an IP address. I also tried the Windows 'Repair this connection' tool and it fails to renew the IP address.

I know this is kiddy stuff to those that understand it but it's been a massive time sink hole for me. Please help.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Ethernet Adapter won\'t/can\'t connect to modem

Not sure with the existing information, but you said another PC is getting an ip address from the cable modem right? So you don't have a router? and you can have just one PC attached to the cable modem?
If this is the case, sometimes the Cable modems put the PC MAC address in its running configuration settings.
If you want to plug another PC into the Cable modem you have to turn off / on the cable modem to clear the settings and then plug in the other PC.

If you have 2 or more PCs its better to get a router and plug it into the cable modem.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:01 PM

There was a time when I had both PCs hooked up with a router and everything was sweet. Then poof, dead router. Then poof again, 2nd dead router. Saturday a bought a hub and if I can get them both together working great, but right now I'd settle for simply having both work when directly cabled to the modem, using one at a time.

I'll just turn everything off and give this another shot.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:34 PM

Resetting the modem does the trick. Thank you.

The hub does not seem to connect more than one PC but at least I'm now no worse off than I was on Saturday.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:21 PM

Ok, wait....you killed 2 routers just like that? That makes me think you might have some sort of serious issue with the your power source or possibly the cable modem?

Also a hub is not a router. A hub connected to a cable modem will attempt to pull to different IP addresses from the modem, one for each PC. Since your cable company is only giving you one IP that isn't going to work right. You really need a router in the place of that hub but it sounds like you've got a problem if you are killing those routers one after another?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:31 PM

Well, if you have your both computers turned on, you can use Shared Internent connection feature - one PC will be connected to the modem directly and the second PC throught the first one.