Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 08:00 AM

Default 1/2 NL QQ blind battle, deep

Villain in the hand is a regular, 23/17 or so over a fair # of hands. The game is 5 handed and in the last 20 hands or so the play has been very aggressive

Fold to me in SB and I raise to $8 with QQ. I have $475, BB covers. He reraises to $26. I repop him back to $66 (standard repop... too small?) I was thinking that then I can bet $100 on the flop and if I get called, stacks are right on the turn.

He calls. The flop is 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. No diamonds in my hand. I bet $100, as planned. Villain goes all in, $310 to me.

Comments?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Re: 1/2 NL QQ blind battle, deep

yuck... AA or KK beat you, but in an aggressive game you could see a lot worse. 99 is the only set that makes any sense and you can't rule out the possibility of a semi bluff flush draw. Plus, you have a lot of your stack already in the pot and you aren't going to get much better flops for QQ. Would the villain 4 bet deep stacked with AA or KK or get greedy and just call? Maybe he has 99, but would he play a set this fast? Would he push here with a flush draw, 1010, or JJ?

If your read is very aggressive, on a 5 handed table, this isn't a terrible call to make. But no real shame in folding to an overbet with just a pair too. No easy answer to this one... sometimes poker just slaps you in the face.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 AM

fold

yeah too small. 77 i think.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:00 AM

In the battle of the blinds I think this might be okay to call the push. I wouldn't call the push otherwise, most of the time.

Btw, who was villian? I probably have hands and notes on him.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:04 AM

villain is testndeca
Old 11-14-2006, 10:05 AM

These deep blind battles are tough to gauge without actually being there. Have you two been battling a lot? How did you each get your stack? etc. If you think he'd push with AK/TT/JJ/flush draw, I think you have to call this getting 1.75:1 if the nature of the game has been as aggressive as you described. Also, I'd repop to $75 preflop.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:14 AM

No blind vs blind experience vs this guy but I've been winning a lot of pots without showdown against everyone at the table. I got my stack from a different guy, by reraising a UTG raiser preflop on the button with AQ and taking his stack on an AAxx board (he had JJ).

I thought he was likely to push here with TT/JJ (hardly AK without AKdd) and if he had flopped a draw with a speculative hand (with which he could possibly call my 4bet preflop given the depth of stacks). The above are a large part of his range and I had a lot committed so I called and was good vs his T8 clubs
Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 AM

Lol, yeah adding T8 to his range makes it an even easier call. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2006, 10:50 AM

That's just it, I think with these stacks his range for calling my 4 bet is about as wide as his reraising range, which for a 22/17 and aggressive, is wide. I did hesitate, and obviously I'm not always good here, but I do think under these circumstances it's a good call
Old 11-14-2006, 10:58 AM

Stacksizes make this really sucky. You're basically committed after your c-bet. I doubt he expects you to fold after it.