Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 04:59 AM

Default 25nl: practicing lag play, easy AK fold?

So I normally play 50nl and have just moved up to 100nl. However, since I don't have very much on Stars at the moment, I've been practicing my lag play. I'm normally a 19/12/3 full ring player, but I've been working on playing hyper-aggro (for me, anyways) at 6max 25nl.

During this session, I've been 36/26/7 over a decent amount of time, and have been running the table over, buying tons of small pots. I haven't shown much down, and I've made some big check-raise bluffs and b3b bluffs that haven't been shown down. I actually haven't had many good hands. I finally hit AK. I'm still adjusting to lag play, and wasn't really sure what to do here, with a hand that had showdown value but wasn't really that great. I decided to call the turn hoping to check behind on the river, and when he bet the river, I figured I was beat. Do I fold the turn? Do I 3 bet the flop? Push the turn? Call the river getting 4-1? Thanks for the help.

Oh, reads: PT has him as being 18/2/2. Can't say I had any reads at the time, except now that I think about it, my thought process was kind of like, (on turn) "well, I've been running the table over, so they're probably trying to make a move on me now. I call!" (on river) "oh wait, they haven't tried to make any moves yet. This is probably a huge hand. Fold!"

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($38.15)
SB ($37.75)
BB ($15.10)
Hero ($26.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($2.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $5.5</font>, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($13.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($33.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10.5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $43.75
Old 11-14-2006, 05:09 AM

Default Re: 25nl: practicing lag play, easy AK fold?

with that image, and thse stakes im probably 3betting AI on the flop. Also, its hard to imagine you have been running over the table and have only slightly more than 100bbs.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:13 AM

Oh, you're right. Sorry, this was a couple days ago, and I forgot the exact specifics. I probably lost a smallish pot or two. I'm guessing a took a stab at the flop and turn, got called, checked the river and was shown a better hand. But since I'm not sure exactly what happened, let's analyze this play assuming I have been running the table over.

Doesn't a 3bet all in on the flop seem like an overbet? What would call me that I have beat? AQ?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, you're right. Sorry, this was a couple days ago, and I forgot the exact specifics. I probably lost a smallish pot or two. I'm guessing a took a stab at the flop and turn, got called, checked the river and was shown a better hand. But since I'm not sure exactly what happened, let's analyze this play assuming I have been running the table over.

Doesn't a 3bet all in on the flop seem like an overbet? What would call me that I have beat? AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

3bet on the flop is just more than a potsized raise, if they are aware of your image (this is a big IF because its 25nl and half of these guys are brain dead anyways, although if i were playing this hand with my normal image i might play it like this anyways) then you should be getting calls from any A pretty much, and occasionally some other random junk. I wouldnt overthink people calling ranges too much, you have a very strong hand and a spade could kill your action (or lose you the hand).
Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 AM

With that image b/3bet AI on flop.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:16 AM

As played, the river fold is uuuugly.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:58 AM

river fold is terrible. you can't call the flop and turn and lay down this river.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 AM

I think the passive line you took with TPTK is a reasonable alternative to an aggressive flop play. If you are running over a table 25NL donks relish the chance to be the aggressor for once so you'll get this with worse A's a lot. River bet can be with anything including a whiffed draw...have to call if you are going to take the passive line.